IS7 SATA Raid Problem Cant Access Raid in Windows

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Javier, Aug 12, 2004.

  1. Javier

    Javier Guest

    Hello,

    I have an IS7-G Motherboard with 2 HD on IDE and 2 HD on SATA. Now
    from what I read this motherboard, it has two SATA Controllers, one is
    a Intel Chipeset SATA Controller, and the other one is a Silicon Image
    (SI) SATA controller. My initial setup was only with the 2 HD in IDE
    from which on of them is the boot drive with Windows XP Pro. I
    recently upgraded and bought 2 WD Raptor HD and put them on the SATA1
    and SATA2 controlled by the Intel Chipeset SATA Controller to made a
    Raid0 with those two raptor HD.

    As I installed the drives, I enabled the SATA on the BIOS and made the
    raid on the utility that comes up when you boot up. I came into
    windows, it picks up the raid, installs the drivers and all of those
    things, then I also installed the Intel Accelerator utility that was
    ont the Abit webiste and it showed the raid installed on the pc. But
    for some reason I cannot see raid or a new HD in the windows explorer,
    like it doesnt exist event though the BIOS shows the two hard drives,
    the intel raid utility made the raid, and inside windows this intel
    utility shows that there is a raid hd installed.

    Later when I coldnt figure out why this was happening, I also updated
    the bios, changed them from one chipset to another and back again,
    deleted the raid and recreated raids on both chipset, put them as
    single HDs on both chipsets, and still nothing, I cant access or see
    them in the explorer. I can only access the two IDE hard drives that
    I've always had.

    Does anybody know why this is happening? Why I cant see either the HD
    or the Raid in windows?

    Javier, Aug 12, 2004

  2. You didn't mention if you initialized, partitioned, and formatted the new
    RAID array. This is required if you want to be able to see it in Windows
    Explorer.

    As a member of the Administrators group, you can initialize, partition, and
    format the new RAID array using the Disk Management tool found by navigating
    through Control Panel ==> Performance and Maintenance ==> Administrative
    Tools ==> Computer Management ==> Storage ==> Disk Management.

    If you are unsure as to all of the steps required, just use the Help for the
    Microsoft Management Console.

    Homer J. Simpson, Aug 12, 2004

  3. Javier

    TomG Guest

    did you try going into Drive Manager under Computer Management and
    partitioning and formatting the raid array? just because you created the
    array using the bios utility doesn't mean that you have completed
    preparation of the array... partition and format.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 130,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Aug 12, 2004
  4. Javier

    Javier Guest

    Ok, I forgot I needed to do that, I was able to partition and
    formated, but now my IDE is having problems booting, its freezing when
    it trys to boot windows. I read somewhere I needed to delay the HD by
    1 sec or something like that, I did that and it sort of helped when
    the bios boots but windows is still freezing when it tries to load. :\

    Javier, Aug 13, 2004
  5. Javier

    TomG Guest

    hmmm... sounds to me like something is giving XP heartburn. can you come up
    in safe mode? last known good configuration?

    TomG, Aug 13, 2004