=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Linksys,_Wireless_Card,_DELL_laptop,_and_Sun_Workstat?==?ISO-8859-1?Q?ion-150,_How_to

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by kal, Aug 3, 2003.

  1. kal

    kal Guest

    Hi,

    I am using LINKSYS Wireless card & Dell Laptop for accessing the
    internet. Recently, I bought the Sun Workstation – 150.

    Requirement
    A) I would like to connect my LAPTOP and Sun Workstation
    B) Is it possible through the SW-150 to access the internet

    Requirement –A :

    Is it possible to connect the WS-150 and Laptop using the Ethernet
    cable (Network cable). There is a Ethernet hole(eri)in WS-150 (please
    see the web site as follows
    http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/SunBlade150/component.rear.html

    I am Oracle Certified DBA. I would like to work around in this WS-150.
    I know little about OS installation, Disk partitioning, …

    Could you please explain, what are the additional Hardware required
    for this environment. I am not worried about accessing the internet
    using WS-150. I need to make connection between my LAPTOP and WS-150
    for transferring the data between machine.

    Please help, Please give step by step instruction and additional
    hardware details, Thanks in advance for your great help.

    kal, Aug 3, 2003

  2. Do you mean a Sun Blade 150?
    The easiest would be a CAT5 crossover cable. The next would
    be a small hub (2 ports minimum, of course, but 4 ports are
    usually the smallest generally available, which is good because
    you could also add a printer etc.) and 2 regular CAT5 cables.
    Yes, the Blade is Internet ready, so to speak. You just need
    to configure it.
    See above.
    A crossover cable would be the simplest but a hub and normal
    CAT5 cables would be better in the long term. I'm not sure
    what other hardware requirements you are looking at. You could
    also use a serial connection between the two with a null modem
    cable but serial is far slower than using a networked connection.

    -am © 2003

    Anthony Mandic, Aug 3, 2003

  3. kal

    kal Guest

    Dear Anthony Mandic,

    YOU ARE THE MAN....!!!!!! IT IS WORKING. I BOUGHT A HUB AND TWO CAT5
    CABLES
    I DEFINE THE NETWORK SETTING AS FOLLOWS
    HARDWARE SETTING DETAILS :-

    SB-150=>Ethernet slot=>CAT5 cable => HUB-slot2, HUB-slot1 => CAT5
    cable =>
    => LAPTOP Network slot/Eithernet slot

    IN THE SERVER SIDE
    I have used sys-unconfig and defined as follows
    IP : 192.168.1.155
    SUBNET MAKS : 255.255.255.0
    AND NETWORK SETTING IPv4 not IPv6, no DHCP,Kerbose ...

    IN THE LAPTOP SIDE
    I enabled the LAN NETWORK CONNECTION (TCP/IP)
    START => CONTROL PANEL => NETWORK => LOCAL AREA CONNECTION =>
    => PROPERTIES => TCP/IP => PROPERTIES => USE THE FOLLOWING IP
    IP : 192.168.1.103
    SUBNET MASK : 255.255.255.0

    NOW, IN THE DOS COMMAND, I CAN ABLE TO PING/TELENT 192.168.1.155

    THANKS TO ANTHONY MANDIC, HE IS WELL WISHER ....

    New Requirement :

    a) How can I enable the internet in my SB-150 ?

    FYI, My DSL/CABLE & ROUTER is placed on First FLOOR, My server and
    laptop
    is in ground floor, Currently, I am accessing the DSL/CABLE MODEM &
    ROUTER
    using the LAPTOP-LINKSYS Wireless PC Card. But, LINKSYS-WIRELESS PC
    card is
    not suitable for SB-150,

    Hence, I bought WIRELESS EITHERNET BRIDGE, This
    Wireless Eithernet Bridge will talk to HUB, HUB will take to SB-150
    (That is my assumbtion). I have the setting as follows

    SB-150 => CAT5 cable => HUB-Slot 2, HUB-Slot 3=> WIRELESS EITHERNET
    BRIDGE (LINKS)~~~~~>antenna~~~~> LINKS-WIRELESS ROUTER => LINKS
    CABLE/DSL MODEM

    OR

    LAPTOP => CAT5 cable => HUB-Slot 1, HUB-Slot 3=> WIRELESS EITHERNET
    BRIDGE (LINKS) ~~~~> LINKS-WIRELESS ROUTER => LINKS CABLE/DSL MODEM

    Do you think, this setting will help me. How can i access my DSL ?
    Please
    help me.

    Thanks in advance. ...

    BEST OF LUCK FOR EVER ...

    KAL

    kal, Aug 4, 2003
  4. You could use any spare ports for a network printer (much faster
    than a parallel or serial connection) and/or shared Internet
    connectivity.
    Yes, looks good.
    Yes, that should work. You could also run a CAT5 cable from the
    router to the hub. But that depends on any wiring issues. It will
    be faster than the wireless link though, so its worth considering.
    Yes, that should work. The only remaining issue is either setting
    up a firewall and using your internal IP address range or setting
    something up with NAT. The former would probably be easier for
    you. If you do a search thru the Sun newsgroups (comp.sys.sun.*
    and comp.unix.solaris) you should find enough tips. Use the name
    of your router as a key word, or DSL or cable or even Linksys.

    Basically, your router or DSL device could be set up to block
    incoming ports etc. (this depends on the model and what it
    offers). However, you shouldn't ignore security on the internal
    clients. Do a search for "Hardening Solaris" for tips on securing
    Solaris.

    -am © 2003

    Anthony Mandic, Aug 4, 2003