    Indeed. Breathtaking!

    <http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/195820/20110810/apple-exxon-mobil-s-p-500.htm>

    Bye, bye, 1984!

    Martha H. Stuart, Aug 11, 2011

  2. Martha H. Stuart

    Alan Browne Guest

    Perhaps to be short lived. If the price of crude oil goes up, the value
    of Exxon goes up and its share price will follow.

    OTOH, one NYT writer believes that Apple will be the first trillion
    dollar (market cap) company.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/10/b...-breakingviews.html?_r=1&ref=applecomputerinc

    As to Lion I played with it at the Apple Store this afternoon. Nothing
    to make me want to DL it. Quite the contrary.

    Alan Browne, Aug 11, 2011

  3. Martha H. Stuart

    Davoud Guest

    Martha H. Stuart:
    Alan Browne:
    Whatever tomorrow may bring, one thing is certain. If, 20 years ago,
    you had offered to bet many people each a significant sum of money
    that, in 20 years, Apple, aka "troubled Apple, beleaguered Apple,
    failing Apple, struggling Apple," etc., would be the most valuable
    publicly held company in the known Universe you might have had many
    takers and you, too, could be a wealthy man today.

    Me? I didn't have that vision, either. On January 1, 1990, I bet a man
    $1000 that Apple would still be in business as an independent company
    20 years later and that Apple would be making a profit. He said there
    was not a chance.

    He welshed on the payoff, claiming that I was referring narrowly to
    Apple Computer, while Apple is now DBA Apple, Inc. I saw no use arguing
    that Apple, Inc. is the same company with a new name, but we are no
    longer friends. Not over a paltry $1k, mind you, but over dishonor.

    Davoud

    Davoud, Aug 11, 2011
  4. But can it hold that position? With the current volatility of the market,
    I wouldn't be surprised if Apple and Exxon traded places a few times over
    the next few days, if not weeks.

    Michelle Steiner, Aug 11, 2011
  5. Days, weeks, months? No problem! But in the end, what counts is the
    assets. And that's where Apple beats Exxxxon hands down.

    Forget Exxxxon! It's a 1984 company. We are winning, let's face it.

    Martha H. Stuart, Aug 11, 2011
  6. I'll take the current value of Exxon's assets, minus the CV of Apple,
    and be very content, thank you.

    And, yes, Apple is winning. Tiger blood! Winning!!

    John McWilliams, Aug 11, 2011
  7. Martha H. Stuart

    Alan Browne Guest

    "We are winning"?

    Really?

    1984? Does it occur to you at all that Apple today is more like the
    antagonist of that film clip than the protagonist?

    Or that Apple is today riding on iPhone/iPod/iPad and not the computers
    that were the focus of that advert?

    Really.

    Alan Browne, Aug 11, 2011
  8. Martha H. Stuart

    Alan Browne Guest

    I know a couple people who bet early and long on Apple - one of whom
    will live well in retirement for it (though a relatively late buyer of
    the stock - he started buying around the time of the earlier iPods and
    correctly predicted Apple would do a phone long before most anyone else
    predicted same. He does not own any Apple products that I know of (too
    married to Windows, Nokia and Palm [not sure what he's using now for a
    phone / PDA] )).

    Alan Browne, Aug 11, 2011
  9. Martha H. Stuart

    Guest Guest

    Hi, Priam/Yugo/troll!

    Guest, Aug 11, 2011
  10. Wash, Rinse, Repeat when it comes to Priam/Yugo/blah/blah/blah.

    Thomas R. Kettler, Aug 11, 2011
  11. Who's Priam/Yugo/troll?

    What I'm speaking here is plain truth!

    Martha H. Stuart, Aug 11, 2011
  12. Sure, because Apple succeeds in becoming a real alternative to Windows,
    you have to condemn. Better go back to your Linux.
    To me they are today's computers.
    Yes, really.

    Martha H. Stuart, Aug 11, 2011
  13. Martha H. Stuart

    Ed Anson Guest

    To be accurate, this has nothing to do with assets. In fact, Exxon Mobil
    still has more assets, revenue and profit than Apple does. What ranks
    Apple #1 is market capitalization -- the total price of all outstanding
    stock.

    But that's even better, because it means that the Market (for now)
    values Apple more than Exxon Mobil even though it has less valuable
    assets. Its value is in its continuing ability to deliver products that
    people really want to buy, which is why investors are paying such a
    premium for its stock.

    Ed Anson, Aug 11, 2011

  14. <

    Thomas R. Kettler, Aug 11, 2011
  15. Martha H. Stuart

    JF Mezei Guest

    No. Watch instead:

    Remember, back then, IBM had cornered the market and people were blindly
    buying "big blue" just because it was IBM, and there was the sheep
    mentality of buying IBM because everyone was buying IBM, and with IBM
    dictating to the masses what computing should be.

    Fast forward a few decades. Consider Apple's position.

    If this commercial were aired today, it would not be Apple vs IBM but
    rather Linux against Apple with Apple seen as the dominant played with
    people blindly buying Apple products because Apple is the trendy one. In
    such a commercial, the "sheep" would all be wearing white Apple earbuds
    attached to an iphone.

    Yep, Apple is succesful. But behind every runner, a new runner is born.
    And Apple has to be careful. But for now, it should enjoy its success.

    JF Mezei, Aug 11, 2011
  16. Exactly! This is what Appel is fighting against: ignorance. And what you
    must know is that you must comply. Mezei just doesn't get it!

    Martha H. Stuart, Aug 11, 2011
  17. Really? Apple owns manufacturing plants all over 1) America 2) Japan and
    3) China. Do you have any idea how many billions these plants are worth?
    Which must be based on something right? If Apple was outsourcing all its
    manufacturing and a major crisis happened tomorrow, would people have a
    hot-dog rather than an iTune song? OTOH, just as hot-dogs, people will
    always need oil to go to work.

    If, as you pretend, Apple had no assets, there would be no way its
    market cap could be so high.

    Plain logic, you see.

    Martha H. Stuart, Aug 11, 2011
  18. Would you shut up! All this is ludicrous!

    People buy Apple products for one and only one reason: value!

    Apple products are manufactured in the best manufacturing plants in the
    world. People working there are not the zombies portrayed in this ad.
    They're happy to work at making the finest equipment in the world.

    This hardware may last 2, 3, 4, even 5 years,, in which case it's
    obsolete anyway.

    As for software, it's upgraded "Just in Time" to keep you productive so
    that America can keep on Top of the World.

    Linux is fine, if you're living in Third World countries. People there
    don't need to be productive and that's why they hardly succeed in
    selling us anything, despite low wages.

    When do you see people from India or China being hired by the likes of
    Apple, or even Microsoft? Never! These people have too much time on
    their hands. They don't know the value of time. Whenever Linux needs to
    be fixed -- almost every hour, as a matter of fact -- they have time.
    Maybe in a thousand years from now, Linux will work as Apple products
    are today. And this is certainly good news. I mean, you can't be against
    progress. But, you know, meanwhile...
    I'm looking behind and nobody do I see.
    It does enjoy its success, and investors too! Just a little contribution
    for all the added productivity is all they ask for. Which you refuse to
    contribute...

    Apple, for the next 1,000 years... and beyond! Jobs is God! Look,
    doctors say he will die and he always resurrects. Time and again! He's
    god, God, G-O-D! And for good!

    Martha H. Stuart, Aug 11, 2011
  19. Martha H. Stuart

    Guest Guest

    That's a lot of messages from you today, PriamYugo. Bored? I'm really
    sorry you don't have anything better to do. Maybe there's something on
    the teevee. Go for it.

    Guest, Aug 11, 2011
  20. Oh, no! When I come home, there will be things on my Mini that I could
    never see on a PC.

    That's what I'll be watching all night long. I just luuuv to be productive!

    Martha H. Stuart, Aug 11, 2011