It pays to be a Dellbot

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Tom Scales, Mar 10, 2005.

  1. Tom Scales

    Tom Scales Guest

    My new E193FP went Pfftt.

    It happens. Electronics die.

    Called Dell. Customer rep on the phone in less than 2 minutes. Transferred
    me to tech support. Waited less than a minute.

    Answered a few questions about the monitor and what I'd done to test it out.

    Waited patiently for a total of about 20 minutes for them to fill out the
    right information.

    New monitor on the way.

    Total call time, about 25 minutes.

    Tom

    P.S. Call Center was in Mississippi -- I asked.

    Tom Scales, Mar 10, 2005

  2. Tom Scales

    User N Guest

    You can't just ask them where they are from, you gotta be sneaky.
    Might I suggest... "heh, these dialog boxes keep popping up and
    displaying strange words such as Chakrabandha, Janukurpara, and
    Upavitika. What does that mean? If they know the answer, they
    sure as hell aren't from Mississippi ;-)

    User N, Mar 10, 2005

  3. Tom Scales

    Markeau Guest

    There was an article in the Austin paper recently about India Call
    Centers - some of them have TV's tuned to US stations displaying US
    city weather, events, sports scores, etc, so that when a US customer
    asks where they are located they lie and can "prove" that they are in
    the US.

    Markeau, Mar 10, 2005
  4. Tom Scales

    Ted Zieglar Guest

    You're no "Dellbot", Tom, and neither am I. We have success with Dell
    because we don't have an 'attitude' when dealing with the Company.

    Ted Zieglar

    Ted Zieglar, Mar 10, 2005
  5. Tom Scales

    Markeau Guest

    Markeau, Mar 10, 2005
  6. "Dellbot" and other labels intent on insulting those on either side are
    actually indicators of the persons inability to make a point solely on its
    merits.
    Those who need labels or insults to prop up their position are clearly
    incapable regardless of which side they are on.

    Good to see a good tech support experience.

    Jupiter Jones, Mar 10, 2005
  7. Tom Scales

    Markeau Guest

    Markeau, Mar 10, 2005
  8. Indeed, but I'd wager you aren't quite so quick to pass such favourable
    judgement on such labels as "troll" which are inevitably applied to anyone
    who dares to comment about Dell's poor customer service.

    Additionally, I think it's fair to say that anything that Mr Scales has to
    say about Dell can be readily dismissed.

    Which is a shame as I believe he probably has a lot to offer this group; but
    when you're clearly in denial about Dell's failings (and when you ship in
    the volumes that Dell does you are going to have them) your opinion is going
    to be hopelessly biased..............

    < pre-empting Tom's response..................<<plonk>> >

    Chuckles The Scary Clown, Mar 10, 2005
  9. Tom Scales

    Tom Scales Guest

    Feel free to Plonk me. I am here to help and do so on a daily basis.

    You do not.

    I do not claim Dell is perfect, far from it.

    I guess you just don't like positive stories.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Mar 10, 2005
  10. Chuckles;
    I have been called a Dell hater or something similar for a similar comment I
    made to a Dell fan who felt the need to insult to prove a point.

    So your assumption is false as many assumptions are.
    Perhaps you should approach judgement more cautiously lest you catch
    yourself again in a bad assumption.

    Jupiter Jones, Mar 10, 2005
  11. Tom Scales

    Tom Simchak Guest

    Well, not to quibble, but I kinda doubt an accent from the subcontinent
    would sound anything like an accent from Biloxi, Jackson, etc.

    And, I would doubt (again) that there are very many Indians (of the
    subcontinent variety) living in MS.

    From what I've gleaned from this NG, and other sources, the main
    problem is one of the customer not being able to understand the tech.
    ALL techs, US, Indian, whereever, go through scripts, frustrating though
    they may be.

    Tom S.
    Houston, TX

    Tom Simchak, Mar 10, 2005
  12. Tom Scales

    davinp Guest

    How long did your monitor last and how much did Dell charge you for a
    new one?

    davinp, Mar 10, 2005
  13. Tom Scales

    Notan Guest

    Without trying to beat a dead horse (Oh, what the hell! Let's beat him!),
    my experience with Gold Tech Support has been that these guys *don't*
    script read, but really know what they're talking about.

    Notan

    Notan, Mar 10, 2005
  14. Tom Scales

    Notan Guest

    As a side note, when I saw the subject line of this thread, having been
    accused of being a Dellbot, myself, I thought I was going to receive a
    check in the mail, or something similar.

    Damn! <g>

    Notan

    Notan, Mar 10, 2005
  15. Tom Scales

    Irene Guest

    Clearly, you haven't taken many taxi's in any major U.S. Cities, north or
    south. >g<

    Irene, Mar 10, 2005
  16. Yeah, my wife and I have a running joke about "Cowboys & Indians".
    8*)

    My favorite is <in heavy indian accent> "Hello, thank you for calling
    Dell, I'm here to make your experience with us as comfortable as
    possible today. My name is "John"". 8*)

    Personally I don't mind the accent, but it drives me nuts to get a
    script monkey with absolutely no clue what he's talking about. A
    recent call to Adelphia's tech support, for instance, got me first and
    second tier techs who wanted to know if a 20% packet loss was causing
    any kind of problem.

    William P.N. Smith, Mar 10, 2005
  17. Tom Scales

    Leythos Guest

    On my first trip to NYC a couple years ago I got a taxi at the airport and
    told him I was staying near 5th ave, I could walk to time-square, can't
    remember the place exactly. I told the cabbie that I had never been to NYC
    and we chatted about him coming to America from Italy a long time ago - I
    mentioned that I had been to Italy a couple times when I was in the
    service and we chatted some more - as we pulled up to the hotel he asked
    if I would be interested in a tour of NYC and I told him I didn't have
    enough cash for it, he said it would be on him - and that nice man drove
    me around, showing all the sights for about an hour, and never charged me
    a thing - I bought him an nice Italian mean near the hotel for it. Was the
    nicest taxi trip I had ever taken - now, the rest of the people in NYC
    were the most unfriendly people I've ever met :)

    Leythos, Mar 10, 2005
  18. Tom Scales

    Irene Guest

    And the driver could actually speak real English.
    That's almost amazing. >g<
    It sounds like you were very lucky.

    Irene, Mar 10, 2005
  19. Tom Scales

    Tom Scales Guest

    It is under warranty. It's a month old! Frustrating, but it does happen, to
    all companies, and I care more about the response of the company than the
    failure. They're shipping me a new one with a box and prepaid return for
    the old one.

    Since the 19" Dell LCD is my "little" monitor, I still have my Samsung 213T
    21" LCD panel to use.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Mar 10, 2005
  20. Well, lucky you :)
    Seriously.
    I don't believe you are a Dellbot.

    I guess I just attract the occasional 'bad guys' at Dell because I always
    have bad luck no matter which company is involved. New Philips TV broken,
    right out of the box. New Villeroy & Boch shower cabin, leaking like hell
    just after installation and so on....

    Unfortunately, I have also had 3 failures of different Dells in our family
    about which I made numerous service calls and not *once* have I spoken to a
    tech and sorted stuff out in less than 2 minutes. And I'm no computer moron
    FWIW. Even calling them and simply asking if I could buy a replacement PSU
    proved to be almost impossible.
    Bear in mind that I've always been very patient with them, never insulted
    them or did anything wrong to them.
    Just wondering what I'd done to deserve this kind of 'service'.....

    Dennis Demont, Mar 10, 2005