    them all their due.
    And the "Democratic Underground" website name is just perfect! It is
    exactly where the Democrats are positioning themselves to be, BURIED .

    Dogface, Mar 11, 2005

  2. Tom Scales

    Dogface Guest

    Did you explain to them that optimal networks experience a 20% packet gain
    instead? ;-)

    Dogface, Mar 11, 2005

  3. Tom Scales

    Dogface Guest

    "They're shipping me a new one..."

    no, no, no... you know better than that! Can you say "REFURB"?
    May your dead pixel count be low.

    Dogface, Mar 11, 2005
  4. "Personal Systems" which means consumer, not business.

    Gold Support on "business systems" covers the entire line.

    Brad Licatesi, Mar 11, 2005
  5. Interesting that you should mention that...

    JD Powers did a survey of 5,000 major companies on their computer tech
    support last year. In that survey, Dell came out number 3 (I don't
    remember who was ahead of them).

    Apparently, Michael Dell through a major fit and there was a severe re-
    arrangement of management on the support side of Dell. The result last
    year (and the beginning of this year) is a focus on providing better
    support.

    Dell did a survey of its own top customers to find out where the
    deficiencies were.

    At the top of the list was overseas support. Not that any of the
    businesses really cared WHERE Dell support was handled, but that it was
    generally felt that the support centers in India were not doing enough
    to hire techs without heavy accents that made it difficult to
    communicate. Proper communication between the tech and caller so that
    the problem could be fixed in a timely manner was critical. From that,
    the decision was made to move more of the business support back into
    U.S. call centers. (to satisfy their contracts with overseas call
    centers, they're moving those overseas techs from business support into
    consumer support which gives consumer support a larger tech pool).

    Dell is narrowing the focus of techs to specific product lines so that
    they can become more expert at the product lines they do support. For
    example, Nashville business support will stop supporting Dimension and
    Inspiron this month and handle Lattitude and Optiplex only. Allowing
    the techs to stop taking classes on the machines they don't support and
    offering more classes and hands on training for those they do.

    More calls are being recorded than ever before. A new phone system
    allows dell to digitally record more phone calls now which can be used
    for training. Local managers and "coaches" can access the calls of
    individual techs and then work with the techs on deficiencies.

    The "decision trees" used by techs to help diagnose problems on
    computers has been made available to the public on the Dell Support web
    site. Dell techs are encouraged to pass this information along to
    customers (particularly IT). If a customer calls in with a problem and
    has already done all of the troubleshooting steps for the proper tree,
    that caller can give the tech a "journal ID" which allows the tech to
    review the steps taken by the caller and more quickly issue parts when
    necessary. (A 45 minute troubleshooting session on the phone can be
    reduced to 5 minutes of verifying the tree info provided by the caller.)

    Additional troubleshooting tools will be made available on the support
    web site to further reduce the amount of time necessary to spend on the
    phone. And in many cases you will be able to EMAIL the journal ID to
    support and get parts issued without even making a phone call.

    The result of these and some other internal programs is the JD Powers
    ranked Dell back as #1 among businesses for support this year.

    Brad Licatesi, Mar 11, 2005
  6. Tom Scales

    User N Guest

    This is the first time I've heard of them trying that. It is actually the first
    time I've heard of any company trying that. But I've been waiting, you
    might even say hoping, to run across it for the past few years. I guess
    there is always the potential for abuse, and there is certainly the
    potential for the system/interface to be clunky or otherwise less than
    ideal. But if you create a good troubleshooting system, and couple that
    with an incentive (login to fast support queue via journal ID, advertise
    the system during hold in slow support queue), you just might have
    something.

    I just looked for and found the Interactive Troubleshooting link into the
    Dell Solution Network [wizard], and played around with it a little bit.
    I'm curious... how long as it be available?

    User N, Mar 11, 2005
  7. Tom Scales

    S.Lewis Guest

    They're shipping him a monitor in a box that is labeled 'refurb'.

    It may be a refurb or it may be new. I've had 3-4 drives (including some
    opticals) replaced that so far as I could discern upon very close inspect
    were brand new.

    No scarring on the sides to indicate that they were ever mounted; ESD
    packaging identical to new retail drives.

    I've always thought the "refurb" policy and label were there in case of
    availability problem with new replacement parts, but I don't factually know
    that.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Mar 11, 2005
  8. Tom Scales

    Tom Scales Guest

    I'm inside 30 days. It is a new one.

    Tom Scales, Mar 11, 2005
  9. Personally, I would expect better service & feel safer speaking with
    someone from the subcontinent.
    You Americans - it's always about $$$$ with you, isn't it? FEH!

    ;)

    Sparky Singer, Mar 11, 2005
  10. Wow, that's very impressive, if true, I'm looking forward to giving it
    a try! [Now I have to hope for a failure?]

    William P.N. Smith, Mar 11, 2005
  11. It's some kind of accounting game, I've been offered "new marked as
    refurb" Dell monitors at a substantial discount. It's a way to get
    rid of overstock and obsolete parts at less than their "new" price.
    Given the state of pricing on computer bits, it's possible for a "new"
    product from (say) last year to be more expensive than the equivalent
    new product from this year, so it'll never sell, and will sit in your
    inventory forever.

    William P.N. Smith, Mar 11, 2005
  12. Make sure you get something like Aida that'll give you the SMART
    numbers off your drive, so you can see how many bad sectors and
    retries and such it's got...

    William P.N. Smith, Mar 11, 2005
  13. Tom Scales

    LastYJ Guest

    Got a new 1905FP. The screen is fine. I actually find it too bright.
    Anyway, got the monitor for a week and the USB hub on the monitor died.
    Tried to connect a USB card reader. The memory card reads fine, but can't
    copy anything from or to it. Connected my Pocket PC and could not sync.
    Then, I tried a USB memory flash drive and it can't be seen.

    Called Dell Canada Tech Support. The dude was asking for a service tag on
    a monitor. DUH!! There is no service tag on monitors. Then, I gave him
    the invoice number of the order and he tried to verify my address, but he
    said none of the addresses I gave him match his records. I have bought two
    systems and two monitors from Dell in the past two years, actually another
    15" LCD for my parents three weeks ago and they can't find my record...

    Anyway, he had to transfer me to Customer Service, but he cut me off...
    Couldn't even transfer the phone. I called back, was on hold for twenty
    mintues... Talked to the CS rep, and he said I can claim DOA on the monitor
    and a new one will be on the way. Woo Hoo!!

    I am not sure if Dell Canada has outsourced their tech support. They do
    have a different phone number. However, even if they are in North America,
    they are not as bright as one might think.

    -lyj

    LastYJ, Mar 11, 2005
  14. Tom Scales

    Tom Scales Guest

    If you remember, I made the call to Dell around 3PM yesterday.

    Got home for lunch today and the new E193FP was waiting for me. Using it to
    type this.

    Guess they know me by name at Dell :)

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Mar 11, 2005
  15. Tom Scales

    S.Lewis Guest

    <snip>

    ....which I was going to mention, but didn't know if they had changed that
    policy.

    So in this case, "new" is indeed "new", not new in a box marked "refurb".

    Cool.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Mar 12, 2005
  16. Tom Scales

    Tom Scales Guest

    Brand new. Already up and running. Call to delivery in 18 hours. Prepaid
    return with pickup.

    Tom Scales, Mar 12, 2005
  17. You couldn't hold a Top Ten list to less than 100? Sounds brain damaged
    to me.

    Sparky Singer, Mar 12, 2005
  18. See my earlier post in this thread.

    Jupiter Jones, Mar 12, 2005
  19. Tom Scales

    Dogface Guest

    Who said anything about "Ten" pea brain? Are you angling for a place on the
    list?!

    Dogface, Mar 12, 2005
  20. Tom Scales

    Dogface Guest

    BULLSHIT! If it's marked "refurb", it's refurb. Show me the Dell policy
    that states they replace new with new within 30 days and I'll believe you
    Dellbots. Otherwise putup or shaddup...

    Dogface, Mar 12, 2005