    But everybody has lucrative service contracts available for their machines.
    Are you saying that NEC is the only one that includes it into their price?

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Aug 31, 2004

  2. Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    As a matter of fact, yes.

    http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/chips/0,39020354,2087519,00.htm

    Will let them use Hypertransport too.

    http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/chips/0,39020354,2131648,00.htm
    As a matter of fact, yes. They are just exchanging patent licenses with each
    other.
    Well, at least for free, they won't allow it.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Aug 31, 2004

  3. Yousuf Khan

    spinlock Guest

    AMD Opteron Rules!!

    They shipped 10 times more servers than Itanium and
    made 1/3 as much revenue!!!

    HUH!

    Wait a minute, that's 60000 Opterons and 190 million in revenue
    vs 6000 Itaniums and 600 million in revenue?!?!?!

    WOW, AMD really out-smarted Intel again.

    spinlock, Sep 1, 2004
  4. I don't know about you, but looking at the way x86 has entrenched
    itself due to sheer installed base, outselling the Itanium 10 to 1
    could be looking really smart another quarter or two down the road
    when developers decide they are going to make more money making
    software for say 300,000 (possibly much more with Intel's P4 hopping
    on the wagon now) potential customers compared to 20,000 for the
    IA-64.

    If the platform doesn't have the software, it will eventually taper
    off.

    The little lost angel, Sep 1, 2004
  5. Yousuf Khan

    Grumble Guest

    What's your point?

    Grumble, Sep 1, 2004
  6. I'm not exactly sure where Japanese Altix servers would be accounted -- SGI
    Japan is owned by NEC, and Altix servers sold there do not count as
    revenue for Silicon Graphics, Inc. anymore...

    Anyway -- the average there is only a matter of how you count installations.

    Is the Dutch National Super's 400+ CPU installation one, two, four or
    eight servers?

    How many kernels are shepherding the installation depends on the whim of the
    administrators...

    Alexis Cousein, Sep 1, 2004
  7. Yousuf Khan

    chrisv Guest

    Clueless top poster.

    chrisv, Sep 1, 2004
  8. That is $100,000 per unit!

    Where did you say that bridge was Nick...

    --
    Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
    +61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.

    Paul Repacholi, Sep 1, 2004
  9. Not quite. The main reason is to sever the itanic from the two way licence
    deals untel has done over the years. With lots of people. This way they can
    just say, "Sorry, not our camel..."

    Paul Repacholi, Sep 1, 2004
  10. Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    I found this new article which gives the actual number of server chips sold:

    http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/tech/semis/10181117.html?cm_ven=YAHOO&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA

    http://tinyurl.com/3mfo4

    Now 205,000 chips into the 60,000 servers (previously stated) equates to
    about on average 3.4 processors per server. Considering that the vast
    majority of Opteron servers are usually either 2P or 4P, that makes complete
    sense. And since the number is closer to 4P than to 2P, that would indicate
    that more 4P Opteron servers got sold than 2P ones.

    So it would seem, that Opteron's multiprocessing capacities are being
    exploited to their utmost. Once 8P Opterons come into more common usage, it
    would be interesting to see if corporations are utilizing their capacity
    will be utilized too?

    Wonder how many Xeon servers were sold that same quarter? That way we can do
    the same math and find out what the average number of processors there are
    in a Xeon.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Sep 1, 2004
  11. Yousuf Khan

    Ed Guest

    Ed, Sep 1, 2004
  12. Yousuf Khan

    Ed Guest

    While Itanium still grew at strong rates, the industry saw the emergence
    of the x86-64 CPU space, which had a year-over-year growth rate of 2,183
    percent.

    2,183%, what?
    Ed

    Ed, Sep 1, 2004
  13. Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    Yousuf Khan, Sep 1, 2004
  14. Yousuf Khan

    Ed Guest

    ? just more numbers to look at. ;p
    Ed

    Ed, Sep 1, 2004
  15. Yousuf Khan

    Tony Hill Guest

    They actually only sold $319M in revenue on a bit shy of 6,000 units.
    the $600M figure was for the year to date, so actually their
    per-server average is somewhere a bit over $50,000. MUCH higher than
    the ~$3000 average per Opteron server, but not $100,000.

    Tony Hill, Sep 2, 2004
  16. Yousuf Khan

    Tony Hill Guest

    Err, uhh, Yousuf, either you're cut 'n paste is a little wonky or they
    changed the article since you read it. Now it reads:

    "In the second quarter of 2003, AMD shipped a mere $110 million in
    server chips compared with Intel's $4.6 billion in shipments,
    according to Gartner."

    Note the dollar values instead of units shipped. Lat though they do
    seem to be switching back to units shipped:

    "Since then, Opteron scored some major design wins, helping it nearly
    double shipments to 205,000 as of the second quarter this year.

    But it still lagged far behind Intel's 5.4 million shipments."

    Hmm... strange.
    I'm not sure that this is accurate as it might also include some
    AthlonMP chips where the 60,000 server number might just be for
    Opterons.

    Also the two numbers came from two different companies, so I wouldn't
    be surprised if they are not measuring quite the same thing, it
    certainly would not be the first time that Gartner and IDC came up
    with conflicting reports.
    I really doubt that the 3.4 processors/server number is accurate, it
    seems just way too high considering that Sun only just recently
    started selling 4P Opterons, IBM never sold them and many small OEMs
    also stick to only 1 and 2P Opteron servers. I would be VERY
    surprised if AMD is really selling more 4P Opteron servers than 2P
    ones, it just doesn't fit the market dynamics at all.

    Of course, part of the confusion might be related to dollar value vs.
    unit shipment confusion mentioned above.
    Roughly 1.4M Xeon servers were sold in Q2 of 2004. I don't know the
    exact number, but it was somewhere around 1.6M total servers and about
    90% of them are x86.

    Tony Hill, Sep 2, 2004
  17. Yousuf Khan

    Tony Hill Guest

    There were hardly any x86-64 servers shipped in Q2 of 2003, so the
    fact that 20 times as many servers shipped in Q2 of 2004 isn't all
    that big of a surprise. They're just talking of growth from ~3,000
    servers to ~60,000 servers.

    Tony Hill, Sep 2, 2004
  18. That's the point. IA64 CPUs dribbled onto the market and, in the
    first couple of quarters that they were sold widely, pretty well
    all sales were of workstations and small servers for development
    and testing. The Opteron is less radical, so should ramp faster,
    but the same is occurring.

    The current figures are so confused as to tell us no more than the
    Opteron is at least being a qualified success, and the Itanium has
    neither crashed and burned nor taken off. No more than that.

    Regards,
    Nick Maclaren.

    Nick Maclaren, Sep 2, 2004
  19. The thing is : It's not just Opteron, it's Athlon64 too. Athlon64
    is where the volume will be (if anywhere), perhaps we're looking
    in the wrong place ?

    Cheers,
    Rupert

    Rupert Pigott, Sep 2, 2004
  20. Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    Hmm, it looks like they re-edited the article since I originally read it. I
    copy'n'pasted straight from the article up there. If they were talking about
    dollars instead of units, then I wouldn't have even found it necessary to
    quote it at all. It's a good thing I decided to quote excerpts from it,
    otherwise people wouldn't have known what I was talking about.
    Looks like there might still be some re-editing of the article left to do.
    :)
    I think that was simply 60,000 Opterons, from the Register article that I
    originally posted to start off this thread. I doubt there's much AthlonMP
    sales left.

    In fact, I think people with AthlonMP mobos are probably going to need to
    replace their Athlon MPs with Socket A Semprons from now on.
    Well, they did say that the white boxers overwhelmingly outnumber the OEMs
    in Opteron sales. Some of those whiteboxers include such brands as Verrari
    Systems (formerly Racksaver), and others, which do have a large server brand
    presense. So it may not have mattered if IBM, Sun or HP had their 4-way
    boxes in place yet.
    We'll await the final re-edit. :)
    Well at that number, if 5.4 million Xeon chips were sold into 1.4 million
    servers then that would come out to 3.8 chips/server average. So it would
    mean 4-way Xeons outnumber 2-way Xeons, which doesn't make too much sense I
    guess.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Sep 2, 2004