It's a miracle! (My sound works now...)

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Muse Gruppes, Aug 23, 2006.

  1. Muse Gruppes

    Muse Gruppes Guest

    I posted an issue that whenever I played or ripped any cd for around 5
    minutes, the sound would go out completely. Even system sounds, it wasn't
    just CD Rom playing that was cut off. Then after I rebooted everything was
    ok, then I could download a zillion mp3s and listen all day long, no problem

    I was told it's a resource issue (I only have 256mb of RAM) and a pent
    549mhz intel. so I thought, I guess I better buy some memory cards

    So basically, if I used the CD drive, there went the sound... Until TODAY...
    I got a stero headset from logitech that plugs in the usb. (my other
    headphones went right in the back of the computer since I am without desktop
    speakers right now) and now, no more sound dropouts! I've been ripping and
    listening to CD's all day and no problems! interesting...

    I wonder why the change?

    Whatever the reason I'm happy.

    -Chris

    Muse Gruppes, Aug 23, 2006

  2. Muse Gruppes

    ric Guest

    Muse Gruppes wrote:

    > I posted an issue that whenever I played or ripped any cd for around 5
    > minutes, the sound would go out completely. Even system sounds, it wasn't
    > just CD Rom playing that was cut off. Then after I rebooted everything was
    > ok, then I could download a zillion mp3s and listen all day long, no problem
    >
    > I was told it's a resource issue (I only have 256mb of RAM) and a pent
    > 549mhz intel. so I thought, I guess I better buy some memory cards
    >
    > So basically, if I used the CD drive, there went the sound... Until TODAY...
    > I got a stero headset from logitech that plugs in the usb. (my other
    > headphones went right in the back of the computer since I am without desktop
    > speakers right now) and now, no more sound dropouts! I've been ripping and
    > listening to CD's all day and no problems! interesting...
    >
    > I wonder why the change?
    >
    > Whatever the reason I'm happy.
    >
    > -Chris

    it works because your headphones are actually headphones plus a USB
    "soundcard" audio device. Presumably your internal sound card's
    faulty...
    Ric

    ric, Aug 23, 2006

  3. Muse Gruppes

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 01:25:16 -0700, ric Has Frothed:

    > Muse Gruppes wrote:
    >
    >> I posted an issue that whenever I played or ripped any cd for around 5
    >> minutes, the sound would go out completely. Even system sounds, it
    >> wasn't just CD Rom playing that was cut off. Then after I rebooted
    >> everything was ok, then I could download a zillion mp3s and listen all
    >> day long, no problem
    >>
    >> I was told it's a resource issue (I only have 256mb of RAM) and a pent
    >> 549mhz intel. so I thought, I guess I better buy some memory cards
    >>
    >> So basically, if I used the CD drive, there went the sound... Until
    >> TODAY... I got a stero headset from logitech that plugs in the usb. (my
    >> other headphones went right in the back of the computer since I am
    >> without desktop speakers right now) and now, no more sound dropouts!
    >> I've been ripping and listening to CD's all day and no problems!
    >> interesting...
    >>
    >> I wonder why the change?
    >>
    >> Whatever the reason I'm happy.
    >>
    >> -Chris

    > it works because your headphones are actually headphones plus a USB
    > "soundcard" audio device. Presumably your internal sound card's faulty...

    Probably stutters under heavy PCI bus usage.

    Meat Plow, Aug 23, 2006
  4. Muse Gruppes

    Muse Gruppes Guest

    > Probably stutters under heavy PCI bus usage.

    **** it, I'm buying another computer!

    (it's time...)

    Muse Gruppes, Aug 24, 2006
  5. Muse Gruppes

    Margolotta Guest

    On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 08:44:30 +0100, Muse Gruppes wrote
    (in article <yNcHg.45948$-nyc.rr.com>):

    >> Probably stutters under heavy PCI bus usage.

    > **** it, I'm buying another computer!
    >
    > (it's time...)

    Then do yourself a favour and make it a Mac. You can run Windows on it if you
    really must and, bang-for-buck, they're cheaper than many PCs. Contrary to
    popular belief, you really do get more for your money. For example, you have
    to add £1,000 to the price of Dell's flagship XP notebook to upgrade it to
    the same spec as a basic 17" Mac Book Pro.

    People will tell you I'm lying, but I've done the maths myself.

    Margolotta, Aug 24, 2006
  6. Muse Gruppes

    WSZsr Guest

    Let me put my hipboots on.........

    WSZsr, Aug 24, 2006
  7. Muse Gruppes

    Notan Guest

    Margolotta wrote:

    > On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 08:44:30 +0100, Muse Gruppes wrote
    > (in article <yNcHg.45948$-nyc.rr.com>):
    >

    > >> Probably stutters under heavy PCI bus usage.

    > > **** it, I'm buying another computer!
    > >
    > > (it's time...)

    > Then do yourself a favour and make it a Mac. You can run Windows on it if you
    > really must and, bang-for-buck, they're cheaper than many PCs. Contrary to
    > popular belief, you really do get more for your money. For example, you have
    > to add £1,000 to the price of Dell's flagship XP notebook to upgrade it to
    > the same spec as a basic 17" Mac Book Pro.
    >
    > People will tell you I'm lying, but I've done the maths myself.

    OK, I'm game.

    Show me the maths [sic].

    Notan

    Notan, Aug 24, 2006
  8. Muse Gruppes

    Bob Levine Guest

    WSZsr wrote:

    > Let me put my hipboots on.........

    You don't need them:

    http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060823/tech_test_mac_pro.html?.v=6

    Bob

    Bob Levine, Aug 24, 2006
  9. "Notan" <> wrote in message
    > Margolotta wrote:
    >>
    >> On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 08:44:30 +0100, Muse Gruppes wrote
    >> (in article <yNcHg.45948$-nyc.rr.com>):

    >> > **** it, I'm buying another computer!
    >> >
    >> > (it's time...)

    >> Then do yourself a favour and make it a Mac. You can run Windows on it if
    >> you
    >> really must and, bang-for-buck, they're cheaper than many PCs. Contrary
    >> popular belief, you really do get more for your money. For example, you
    >> have
    >> to add £1,000 to the price of Dell's flagship XP notebook to upgrade it
    >> the same spec as a basic 17" Mac Book Pro.
    >>
    >> People will tell you I'm lying, but I've done the maths myself.

    > OK, I'm game.
    >
    > Show me the maths [sic].

    She can't, so she ran away.

    ss.