    MacBook Pro, Mac OS 10.4.7, iTunes 7, QuickTime 7.1.3.

    Thanks.

    Marty Lopez

    Marty López, Sep 12, 2006

  2. Marty López

    Hans Aberg Guest

    I suggest you to make a backup of ~/Music/iTunes (if small enough, burn it
    onto opticla media), make a bugreport to Apple at
    <https://bugreport.apple.com/>, where you submit ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes
    Music Library.xml

    The thing is that iTunes 6 had a similar instability problem, which Apple
    seemed to later have fixed. So get to them as soon as possible with your
    bug.

    Hans Aberg, Sep 12, 2006

  3. Definitely worth doing - iTunes should not drop those files without
    warning. In the meantime, as you suspect, your files are probably
    safe and sound. Have a look in ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music. If you
    get stuck, just use SpotLight to search for things that might relate
    to your missing songs. You should just be able to locate the files and
    drag them back into the iTunes window.

    Heath Raftery, Sep 13, 2006
  4. I'd do a search on just those files beginning with what you said,
    limiting it to audio files, then hit Cmd. R to reveal its location,
    change the name so it doesn't start with an odd character. Then, when
    done, simply sort your iTunes folders by what's been changed, and drag
    and drop those into the iTunes main window.

    I am not convinced this is a bug, or whether there are admonitions
    against starting file names with those characters, but the files are
    almost certainly in your iTunes library, just not in the listing thereof.

    John McWilliams, Sep 13, 2006
  5. Marty López

    Marty López Guest

    <450756e5$0$4667$>
    ,
    They're not in the expected locations in ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music. (I
    have the "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes
    Music folder when adding to library" preferences checked.) Spotlight
    doesn't turn them up either. The search continues.

    Marty Lopez

    Marty López, Sep 13, 2006
  6. Marty López

    Marty López Guest

    Command-R does not turn up the file; iTunes does nothing.
    Double-clicking one of these entries turns up the message "The song
    "[title here]" could not be used because the original file could not be
    found. Would you like to locate it?" Saying "Yes" doesn't help because
    the file is not where it's supposed to be. (I have the "Keep iTunes
    Music folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when
    adding to library" preferences checked.) Strangely enough, if I try to
    play it using Front Row (the latest version just released along with
    iTunes 7), the message I get is "This computer is not authorized to play
    the selected song." These are not songs (not all of them anyway) I
    bought from iTunes, but songs I imported from my CD's.

    Marty Lopez

    Marty López, Sep 13, 2006
  7. Perhaps they're there but hidden? Just a WAG, but try typing in a
    Terminal window "ls -la " and drag the iTunes Music folder into the
    Terminal window to grab its path. Hit return and look carefully
    through the list.

    Honestly it doesn't make sense, but worth a go at this stage!

    Heath Raftery, Sep 13, 2006
  8. I meant a Finder search, not one via iTunes. Good luck!

    John McWilliams, Sep 13, 2006
  9. Marty López

    Marty López Guest

    <45078556$0$4667$>