iTunes: downloaded album, but some songs won't play

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Alan Browne, Nov 6, 2012.

  1. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    I downloaded an album with 24 songs.

    (iTunes 10.7 (21) 64 bit; iMac, OS X 10.7.4).

    Some tracks don't play and immediately skip to the next song (or skip
    over 4 songs that won't play). A total of 10 songs won't play.

    None of them have the "exclamation" point next to them indicating an issue.

    They won't play on the iPhone either.

    I went to the iTunes Store (via iTunes) and checked the status. The
    album is marked as downloaded. No means to DL it again (or the
    particular songs).

    I sent a case to Apple support. No reply (other than an e-mail with
    referenced support articles that don't apply) to date.

    Any thoughts?

    Alan Browne, Nov 6, 2012

  2. Alan Browne

    David Empson Guest

    Delete the songs from your iTunes library, then you should be able to
    re-download them by going to the iTunes Store UI and clicking on
    Purchased in the right column.

    If they still don't work, it may be a bad file on Apple's servers (which
    I have seen mentioned occasionally but haven't encountered myself -
    Apple fixed at least some of them on being alerted to the issue).

    What was the album, and which song(s) don't work? Perhaps someone else
    has it or is willing to try a sample song.

    David Empson, Nov 7, 2012

  3. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    I tried that first off and it didn't work. The "defective" tracks were
    of course marked as downloaded on Apple's servers so would not DL again.
    See below.

    Note that the non-playing files on my Mac (in the folder, not as
    declared by iTunes) were not 0 or tiny in size. They were about the
    expected size ( 10 - 12 MB or so ea.)
    Since your reply, Apple sent me an e-mail telling me to delete the files
    and try again - so they've reset some of the songs...

    It worked partially (6 of the 10 tracks) on a track by track basis but
    the other 4 did not.

    So then I tried to DL the album entirely and _only_ the 4 missing tracks
    were DL'd.

    Resolved - if not perfectly smoothly. I reported the bumpy success back
    to them.

    Alan Browne, Nov 8, 2012
  4. Alan Browne

    Lewis Guest

    No, that is not how itunes work. You can ALWAYS download anything you
    purchased, as long as Apple still has it. Perhaps you were not able to
    figure out the UI or something, but it is pretty simple. Remove the song
    from itunes locally, fo to the purchased tab in the itunes store, and
    download the tracks again.

    Yep. just did it. Works perfectly.

    Lewis, Nov 8, 2012
  5. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Except that when I did it, it did not work perfectly at all.

    As I said I had deleted the 'broken' songs from my iTunes.
    Could not DL them again at all. (Was the 1st thing I tried when the
    tracks didn't play).

    After a message to Apple and another 24 hours, could still not DL them.

    Another 24 hours and I could. So, something on their end was not right.

    Alan Browne, Nov 9, 2012
  6. Alan Browne

    Lewis Guest

    Then you did something wrong.
    Then you must have not deleted them because there is nothing in the
    iTunes store that would prevent you downloading the songs again. Maybe
    you removed them from the itunes library, but did not delete them
    (though even then, pretty sure re-downloading them works).
    I seriously doubt they did anything at all.

    --
    The Disc, being flat, has no real horizon. Any adventurous sailors who
    get funny ideas from staring at eggs and oranges for too long and set

    Lewis, Nov 9, 2012
  7. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    No. There was some error on their end.
    I deleted them, confirmed "move to trash,"emptied the trash AND looked
    in the folder (2nd attempt) to be sure they were gone. They were.
    Explain why the same procedure did nothing one time, nor a 2nd time and
    worked (imperfectly) the third time. (Without resorting to "you did
    something wrong" as I didn't and you repeating it won't make it so.)

    As David Empson pointed out in his post such problems are not unknown at
    Apple.

    I know you'd prefer that this is all my fault, but in years of using
    iTunes this was the 2nd time I've had DL issues with music. The other
    time I just DL'd the missing tracks per the usual. This time it
    required Apple support. They are there for many things including fixing
    their end. (Databases do get corrupted - even Apple's).

    Alan Browne, Nov 9, 2012
  8. Alan Browne

    FDK Guest

    He's an Apphole, what do you expect?