Itunes has knocked out my Dell Laptop CDRW/DVD Combo

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Tim Murphy, Jan 2, 2004.

  1. Tim Murphy

    Tim Murphy Guest

    I have a problem caused by Upgrading to Itunes (4.2.0.72).

    Itunes has knocked out my Dell Laptop CDRW/DVD Combo.

    I have Dell Inspiron 8100 with Windows XP Pro.

    After upgrading the the latest version of Itunes my system does not
    recognize my Toshiba CDRW/DVD SD-R2102 8X Slim Combo.

    The Hardware is detected but Windows says there is something wrong with it.

    I have uninstalled the device the control panel and the IDE controller but
    no change.

    I tried to back track with system restore but that also failed.

    I have updated the firm ware for the device and done all the other trouble
    shooting stuff and I have tried removing Itunes but to no avail.

    Everything else on my system is up to date/latest version.

    Dell Inspiron 8100, 1GHz, 512 RAM Windows XP Pro,

    Any ideas?

    TIA

    Tim Murphy, Jan 2, 2004

  2. Tim Murphy

    Clark Guest

    Did you do a cold boot during this time? I have seen situations where a
    program will take over the CDRW and not let go, but a cold boot will usually
    reinstate the normal driver.

    I don't have iTunes, so I am not familiar with how it works, but run Task
    Manager to see if any apple processes show up. If you run "msconfig" you
    can see what programs start on boot, so you might be able to disable
    something there. Under system tools there is also a system info program you
    can run that gives a lot of good information.

    If you have reinstalled all drivers, have you redone the software that
    controls the DVD drive. If you go to the device manager, I show 7 drivers
    for the device. You might try running the troubleshooter.

    If Dell isn't able to help, you might go to Toshiba, or Apple to look for
    solutions.

    Clark

    Clark, Jan 2, 2004