    thanks Apple.

    Also, does Napster's new download service use AAC (part of MP4) too,
    alienating all those with MP3 players?

    Dave, Nov 8, 2003

  2. Dave

    anon Guest

    Not if you're a complete moron.

    anon, Nov 8, 2003

  3. Dave

    Enough Guest

    i.e U R A RETARD!

    Enough, Nov 8, 2003
  4. Dave

    Dave Guest

    From what I have read, the iTunes Music Store only has music in the AAC
    format. My player and I think all MPX players besides the iPod will not
    play these music files. I know I could use iTunes to write the AAC
    files to a CD and then rip the CD to MP3 but this is not easy. Please
    explain if this is otherwise and why I am a labeled a retard? I helpful
    reply would be honestly appreciated.

    /d

    Dave, Nov 8, 2003
  5. Never expect a helpful reply from "Enough." Always expect that anything
    it writes will be abusive. You'll rarely be dissapointed that way.

    Even better, put him in your twit list.

    Michelle Steiner, Nov 8, 2003
  6. None of the new legal music download services (iTunes, Napster,
    MusicMatch) offer their songs in MP3 format. The sites all make use of
    some form of DRM. Apple uses AAC which only works with the iPod. Apple
    has publicly announced that the main reason the iTunes Music Store is in
    existence is to sell iPods, not to make money selling music.

    Napster and MusicMatch both use WM9, Microsoft's proprietary DRM format,
    Only players that support WM9 can play these files. If your player
    supports WM9 you're good to go. Otherwise forget it. You'd have to do
    the same thing, burn a CD and rip it back as MP3. Would you consider
    that as alienating also? MP3 is dead as a format for legally downloaded
    music as far as the major labels go. Sure there are the independents and
    the file sharing services.

    It would be nice if the player manufacturers chose to support both WM9
    and AAC. This whole thing is an experiment right now. If people choose
    not to pay for the music because of the DRM restrcitions then all these
    services will go away. The music industry is defintiely not going to
    allow unprotected song files.

    Lawrence Krupp, Nov 8, 2003
  7. Dave

    Guest Guest

    No, Napster uses Window's DRM system which is even more inconvenient and
    draconian than Apple's system.

    In the short term your player will tie you to a music service - or vice
    versa. Eventually a clear winner will emerge (as it did with video
    recorders in the 80's) and the other's will shout Uncle.

    It is Apple's game to win or lose:
    1) Apple has the best player
    2) the most convenient store
    3) is cross platform
    4) the Pixar connection as well as the Mac's strength in show business
    makes Apple more likely to get the nod from the industry and
    performers.

    All Dell has is the ability to steal ideas from others and make cheap
    shit. Ditto Microsoft, but its shit ain't cheap. Sony is a Johnny come
    lately and the Sony Music label is deeply distrustful of MP3 making me
    suspect that the company isn't seriously behind the effort to make MP3
    players.

    So it looks like you have two choices:
    1) bet on a winner (Apple)
    2) don't play in the game

    Guest, Nov 8, 2003
  8. Dave

    Oxford Guest

    ripping a playlist is EASY... and you can put several hundred mp3's on a
    single CD, so we aren't talking a huge expense or much time...

    maybe 10? for the cd and 5 minutes to burn 150 songs... then you can do
    whatever you want with them... i'm still surprised RIAA allowed this big
    of loophole, but whatever...

    Oxford, Nov 9, 2003
  9. Dave

    Enough Guest

    Why, what a helpful reply Mike! I'm sure the retard will be able to
    store iTunes on this MP3 player now!

    Enough, Nov 9, 2003
  10. Dave

    Dave Guest

    This is a hassle. If I download music, I want to transfer it to my MP3
    player right away. I guess I will wait until a true Open Standard DRM
    solution is adopted and most portable players support it.

    Also, I think 99 cents a song is too expensive given I can get a CD with
    full art work and liner notes for $9-$14. The record companies
    distribution costs are next to nothing for electronic form and I think
    the should be reflected in the per song price or per record price.

    Cheers, /d

    Dave, Nov 9, 2003
  11. Dave

    Bev A. Kupf Guest

    Agreed. But what if you want just one song from an album? That's the
    sort of thing the iTunes library is really meant for.

    Bev

    Bev A. Kupf, Nov 9, 2003
  12. So buy an iPod. Or don't buy music from the Apple Music Store.
    Napster uses WMA, alienating everyone with sense. Not to mention
    everyone with a Macintosh.

    Matthew Russotto, Nov 10, 2003
  13. Dave

    Posterizer Guest

    A friend of mine pointed me toward a format called, I think, ogg. I
    forget the website, but Google should find it. It's open source,
    patent-less, but I don't know how well it's supported in terms of
    players.

    I just started ripping a bunch of my old CDs to ACC. I hope I'm not
    painting myself into a corner. I can re-rip them to MP3 or other format
    later if necessary, but I'll be losing more bits each time.

    _d

    Posterizer, Nov 10, 2003
  14. Dave

    Tom Stiller Guest

    [snip]
    You'll lose some quality if you transcode the AAC to anlther format, but
    not if you re-rip the original source.

    Tom Stiller, Nov 10, 2003
  15. Rumour hath it that there's a closed beta in progress for Napster on the
    Mac. I'm guessing it uses the WMA DRM support in WMP 9 for the Mac.

    (And was that enough TLAs to satisfy everbody?)

    Hank Shiffman, Nov 10, 2003
  16. Dave

    Craig Guest

    99 cents isn't too expensive because of that (how many albums are full
    of good songs?).

    it's too expensive because MP3 and AAC sounds like shit. way too much
    of the original recording is gone.

    haven't heard WMA or whatever it is, but if Microslop came up with it
    odds are it sounds even worse. Let me guess: even more of the orig data
    gets shredded away.

    That's the way these formats sound too---like something's being
    shredded; like maybe glass or something?

    C.

    Craig, Nov 11, 2003
  17. AAC at 224 is almost indistinguishable from CD audio quality. I
    think at 320, AAC has the ability to exceed CD audio because it
    supports 48khz sampling.

    128 on the other hand is just not good enough. At least AAC beats
    the living daylights out of MP3. I do wish it supported VBR though.
    It could be that it is an m4a thing rather than AAC.

    WMA also supports AAC among other codecs. AAC is simply Dolby's
    encoder that became part of MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 standards.

    If iTunes music store sold 224 rate files, I might consider
    purchasing them. That is no promise as I like to have the physical
    CD as an archive. I don't much care about the artwork. That died
    with the 12" vinyl LP.

    David Steuber, Nov 11, 2003
  18. Dave

    bebo Guest

    I read somewhere online that the parts that are removed to make MP3 are
    actually more noticeable to older people. They are noticed more because
    these frequencies are the some of the few we oldsters have left. So you
    must still have young ears Mike ;-)

    bebo, Nov 11, 2003
  19. Dave

    G F Guest

    In actual fact it's very difficult to tell the difference between an
    AAC and the original AIFF, even at the 128 kbps setting. The
    difference you are hearing is very likely imagined, because you *know*
    it's an AAC. Try setting up a blind listening test for yourself... use
    iTunes on random and look away from the screen, or get a friend to
    help you. The results will be revealing.

    By the way the biggest noticeable difference between MP3 and the
    original AIFF is a sharp rolloff above 16 KHz. This is something AAC
    and Ogg Vorbis were designed to correct. With MP3 you have to go to
    192 kbps or higher to get a lot of those high frequencies back.
    Personally I don't mind some missing top end... vinyl and cassette
    never had it to begin with anyway, and it can reduce listener fatigue.

    good luck
    Georg

    G F, Nov 11, 2003
  20. Dave