    4) Do macs have the equivalent of a system registry, or are all of
    these settings saved within application folders in files?

    Thanks everyone

    randomname12345, Feb 6, 2007

  2. randomname12345

    Tim McNamara Guest

    There are several ways.

    1. Click once on a file and select Get Info in the Finder > File menu
    and then click "Name & Extension."

    2. You can set the Finder preferences to always show the extension, if
    you like. In finder, go to the Finder menu, select Preferences, then
    Advanced and click the appropriate checkbox.

    3. Just look at the icon for the file. The icon is associated with the
    application that created (or, more precisely, the application that is
    set to open that file type which is usually the application that created
    it).

    4. To rename a file, click once on the file to highlight it. Click
    once on the name (do these two steps slowly so that you don't just
    launch the application and open the file). Then you can just type in
    the new file name.
    You create them from within applications. Look under File > New. The
    filetype is set automatically. In some applications, a right click (if
    you have a multibutton mouse) will bring up a contextual menu from which
    you can make a new file. Ctrl-click with a single button mouse will do
    the same thing.
    Well, it depends. Some applications install Unix-style and put things
    in directories all over the place. If the developer adheres to the Mac
    convention, the files are all self-contained in the .app file. .app
    files are folders that look like applications. You can right-click or
    Ctrl-click on an application and select "Show package Contents" from the
    contextual menu that pops up.
    The settings are usually saved in one of the preferences folders as a
    name.plist file. You'll find them in several places on your hard drive.
    Some are in the /Library/Preferences folder, some are in
    ~/Library/Preferences.

    If you're using 10.4, then use Spotlight with .plist for your search
    term and you'll find lots of them.

    Tim McNamara, Feb 6, 2007

  3. randomname12345

    Jon Guest

    Welcome.

    First, take a look at http://www.apple.com/support. Please check the
    area called "Mac Support", where they specifically tout "Mac 101" and
    "Switch 101". I think you will find them very instructive, perhaps even
    fun. They are good.

    Next. have a look at Mac Help. You find it by going to the Finder and
    opening it from the Help menu. There's lots of interesting stufff there,
    too. :)

    (Please, I am not trying to be obnoxious, just to point to ssources for
    self-help inn the future.)

    1) E.g.: For the first part of your question #1 over, go to Mac Help and
    enter "show file extensions"... - Then: Ditto with "rename files" :)

    2) You normally create new files from within an application. The
    standared keyboard command is Apple-N, or you go File -> New... (Note
    that in the Finder this will result in a new window, whereas
    Apple-Shift-N will give you a new folder.)

    3) An application does not normally have a folder of its own, unless you
    mean something like the following: Supporting files may be often found
    in /Users/<username>/Library/Application Suppport/<appname> (or
    Preferences/<appname>), or /Library/Application Suppport/<appname> (or
    Preferences/<appname>).

    4) The Mac does not have a system registry. These settings are typically
    stored in preference files, which are xml files stored in locations like
    I mentioned under #3.

    Jon, Feb 6, 2007
  4. randomname12345

    Davoud Guest

    From the Finder: select Finder > Preferences > Advanced. Check "Show
    all file extensions."
    There is one way that works for all applications that I know of. From
    within the app, do one of these things: select File > New *or* type
    Command-n. (Command is the Apple-propellor key immediately left and
    right of the space bar on an Apple-brand keyboard.)
    There is no way that I know of to do this from a menu or command
    /within/ an app, but I think that the following is about as good: If
    the app is fixed to your Dock, or is running even if not fixed to your
    Dock, you can right-click the icon in the Dock and select "Show in
    Finder." That will /frequently/ not show you /all/ of the files that
    were installed with the app, however. Some of its files may be in one
    of the libraries -- top level or your own. Check the Application
    Support folder in the libraries, for example, and also look for the
    obvious: subfolders in the libraries that have the same name as the
    application itself. Searching with Spotlight is not reliable in this
    instance, because many applications have parts that can't be identified
    by name as belonging to the application. There isn't much in Windows
    that Mac users want, but a Windows-type uninstaller would be good. It
    can be impossible to track down every little piece of an app if you
    want to trash it. This is probably no big thing; chances are the piece
    left behind is a few kilobytes and does nothing whatsoever without the
    app running, but an uninstaller would be easier and also satisfying to
    us anal retentives...
    Generally, settings are saved in preference files and -- guess what --
    there may be several of them scattered about for a given app. Quite a
    few applications even put settings, caches, and the like in your
    Documents folder. I had naively thought that folder was for my
    exclusive use...
    You are most welcome! *Enjoy!*

    Davoud

    Davoud, Feb 6, 2007
  5. 1. Finder preferences, Advanced tab. Should work, but they may do
    something like Microsoft and ignore the setting for certain types.
    2. So many ways.
    2a. Click on the icon and hit return.
    2b. Click on the icon or name, pause, then click on the name.
    2c. Click on the icon, Cmd-I and rename in the obvious field.
    2d.....

    There's a bit of 3rd-party freeware called NuFile that goes a bit
    further than the built-in Windows behavior. It lets you specify
    documents to be used as a sort of stationery and then right click to
    make a copy of any of them at the target location.
    No reliable way to achieve this largely because very few apps have "a"
    folder in which they live. Most apps are self-contained except for the
    prefs files and user documents, and they're typically installed by
    dragging them where you want them to live from the distribution medium.
    Anything that uses Apple's installer can be checked from the command
    line like this:

    Open a terminal and cd to /Library/Receipts.
    Determine which receipt package you want to look at and cd into it.
    cd into the Contents directory.
    lsbom Archive.bom | less

    The caveat is that given the physical structure of modern Mac software
    you're going to see some fairly deep directory hierarchies being created.
    With very few exceptions, "these settings" (and all others that affect
    the way a user interacts with the system) are stored somewhere within
    each user's home directory (and more specifically within ~/Library)
    although you can also establish system-wide defaults.

    Gregory Weston, Feb 6, 2007
  6. randomname12345

    CaliDervish Guest

    Welcome! Seems like your questions have been expertly addressed, so,
    I offer some tips:

    Free training at Apple stores with great intro programs

    Try also:

    (http://www.apple.com/support/quickassist)

    (http://www.apple.com/support/switch101)

    (http://www.xvsxp.com)

    (http://www.switchingtomac.com)

    (http://guide.apple.com/index.lasso) (all made4mac apps, utilities,
    games etc.)

    (http://www.apple.com/pro)

    (http://www.apple.com/macatwork)

    No worry about viruses! Mac Viruses=0 PC=150,000+
    Do not put Norton/Systemworks on your Mac, nor anything Microsoft, if
    you can avoid it. IE is no longer supported for Macs, anyhow.
    NeoOffice is good substitute for Word, etc. Transfer your Netscape
    address and get rid of it; causes massive problems and is no longer
    used on Macs.

    Browsers: Safari,(be sure to clean out cache, dump history & icons
    folder on a regular basis) Firefox, Camino, and, SeaMonkey, from
    Mozilla, and also Opera, with built-in mail.

    re: videos at websites...There are many choices for other video
    helpers at: versiontracker.com. or macupdate.com
    If you are having probs with videos playing in a website, then make
    sure you have the latest versions of: Flip4Mac, VLC, DivX.

    Get a Unix utility for regular maintenance, like: Macaroni from
    atomicbird.com, or Onyx or Cocktail or macJanitor. These work
    automatically. You can also find out more at Versiontracker.com &
    macupdate.com

    Back-up, back-up, back-up. I, and others, like, SuperDuper, for its
    ease, and the fact it makes complete actual bootable copy and,
    incremental back-ups, too!

    For more help try MacUser group in your area: (http://www.apple.com/
    usergroups)

    David Pogue's, The Missing Manual Series of books are indispensable!
    Just make sure to get the correct version for your particular OS!
    Panther,Tiger, & Leopard.

    When doing upgrades for Apple, Don't Do it from the automatic
    software upgrade (turn this off) but, rather go to the Apple site, and
    download complete upgrades from there. Be cautious with any upgrading,
    and check for problems first via the forums.

    Repair Permissions, both, before and after, downloading anything. Some
    say this is silly, others, like
    myself, do it religiously. (I never stall, slowdown, crash, etc. so, I
    keep doing Repair Permissions)

    You can also sign up for Kbase info from apple, too.
    (http://search.info.apple.com)

    Another invaluable resource, is the great Randy B. Singer:
    (http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html)

    Other good forums at: Yahoo, craigs list

    Have Fun
    Cali

    CaliDervish, Feb 7, 2007