    - Bad processor with disabled execution unit
    - Bad microcode from mobo
    - This particular processor does not have it?

    Mario Andretti, Jun 17, 2012

  2. Mario Andretti

    VanguardLH Guest

    Mario Andretti wrote:

    > Installed i5-3570K into GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 mobo. I am not getting the
    > RDRAND feature! The rdrand instruction results in "illegal opcode".
    > Looking at the feature vector of the cpuid instruction reveals rdrand
    > as absent.
    >
    > Bit 30 (counting from zero) of ecx will indicate presence of rdrand
    > according to http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/appnote/241618.pdf.

    http://www.intel.com/content/dam/ww...3rd-gen-core-desktop-specification-update.pdf
    Errata (sheet 3 of 4), page 11
    Number 54

    The comment field is supposed to be clickable but didn't work for me, so
    jump to page 31 for the "BV54" section.

    No, I don't do assembly coding on IA-86/64 architecture nor do I have
    this processor and mobo setup. I just Google around and hope the above
    article addresses your concern. Yeah, I know your reaction will likely
    be "farking Intel, farking Gigabyte, won't work together, I'm screwed".

    VanguardLH, Jun 17, 2012

  3. Am 17.06.2012 19:14, schrieb VanguardLH:

    > http://www.intel.com/content/dam/ww...3rd-gen-core-desktop-specification-update.pdf
    > Errata (sheet 3 of 4), page 11
    > Number 54

    This points to a processor erratum fixable by a BIOS workaround.
    I have looked at Gigabyte, and, although not clearly visible, they do
    have a fresher BIOS.
    I was running f10c since about February, now they call it (just) f10.

    This indeed fixed the problem!

    Thanks for your help.

    Mario Andretti, Jun 17, 2012
  4. VanguardLH wrote:
    > Mario Andretti wrote:
    >
    >> Installed i5-3570K into GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 mobo. I am not getting the
    >> RDRAND feature! The rdrand instruction results in "illegal opcode".
    >> Looking at the feature vector of the cpuid instruction reveals rdrand
    >> as absent.
    >>
    >> Bit 30 (counting from zero) of ecx will indicate presence of rdrand
    >> according to http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/appnote/241618.pdf.

    > http://www.intel.com/content/dam/ww...3rd-gen-core-desktop-specification-update.pdf
    > Errata (sheet 3 of 4), page 11
    > Number 54
    >
    > The comment field is supposed to be clickable but didn't work for me, so
    > jump to page 31 for the "BV54" section.

    Good catch, a fixable issue.

    Bill Davidsen, Mar 16, 2013