    I'm waiting on arrival of a new JetDirect 400n in a few weeks, but in the
    meantime I'd like to put her on the network.

    Thanks.

    A-2 Xprt, Aug 8, 2004

  2. << How can I change the port to use
    the 10BaseT? There are no options in the printer control panel and I cannot
    use the JetAdmin software because my network uses 10BT. >>

    A2-

    I'm not sure, but I think the 5siMX also has a Macintosh serial port. If you
    can find an older Macintosh with serial printer port, you could connect to the
    printer using a standard Mac printer cable. Then you can run the HP Utility
    program for Macintosh that can set all the parameters.

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, Aug 9, 2004

  3. A-2 Xprt

    Aidan Grey Guest

    Is there a menu that says "HP MIO 1", or "HP MIO 2".

    If so, that is the menu that should allow you to configure the JetDirect
    card.

    Aidan Grey

    Aidan Grey, Aug 9, 2004
  4. A-2 Xprt

    A-2 Xprt Guest

    Thanks for the reply Aidan. There is the MIO 1 option in the control panel
    but it doesn't give any option to change the active port. I can change IP
    settings like address and subnet, but not the port.
    I've heard that it's supposed to auto-sense, but even sending data using the
    DLC protocol (Win 2000) with the correct hardware address, I get no
    printout. The print manager says "Status Not Available" presumably because
    it can't communicate with the 5si on the 10bT port.

    Any other ideas?

    A-2 Xprt, Aug 10, 2004
  5. A-2 Xprt

    Ben Myers Guest

    If there are no options in the printer control panel, this would seem to
    indicate a malfunctioning printer or JetDirect card.

    Try this: Write down the MAC address as printed out on the 5siMX configuration
    test page. Then plug a 10BaseT Cat 5 cable into the card, hook the Cat 5 to
    your network, and run HP's Install Network Printer Wizard. When the Wizard asks
    you how you want to find a printer, enter the MAC address. Go from there in
    setting up the IP address, etc. BTW, use a fixed IP address for JetDirect cards
    for best results.

    When a Cat 5 cable is plugged into the JetDirect card, do the port lights on the
    network hub or switch at the other end of the cable light up?

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 10, 2004
  6. A-2 Xprt

    A-2 Xprt Guest

    Ben:

    The options are in the MIO menu, just nothing to change the active port
    settings. I can change network protocols on/off, config TCP/IP, and so
    forth.

    Plugging the JetDirect into a hub does light it up, so I know there's
    loopback there. Normally, when I use a JetDirect I install DLC protocol,
    enter in the Hardware address and I'm good to go. This one I've done the
    same, but no go. The Test page still says "BNC" for port select; even
    though it's plugged into the network.

    As usual Ben, thanks for the help.

    A-2 Xprt, Aug 10, 2004
  7. A-2 Xprt

    Ben Myers Guest

    And what happens when you run HP's Install Network Printer Wizard??? ... Ben

    Ben Myers, Aug 10, 2004
  8. A-2 Xprt

    Aidan Grey Guest

    A question with regard to your old JetDirect card.

    What speed and duplex setting is used on the switch or hub it connects to?
    Could the switch be set to something other than 10/half? If this was the
    case,
    the JetDirect would probably not correctly detect the presence of the UTP
    cable.

    Try plugging it into an old 10 MBit hub, and see if you get a connection
    light for the JetDirect.

    Aidan Grey

    Aidan Grey, Aug 13, 2004