Jiggly text on AIW 8500 (and AIW 7500)

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Frank Burleigh, Jan 19, 2004.

  1. I have a Redeon AIW 8500 card on an Asus A7V board with AMD Athlon 850.
    The monitor is a NEC Multisync FP1370. The connector is DVI
    (certainly it isn't VGA ;-) using an adaptor on the monitor's cable. My
    video is set to 1920x1440 x 16bpp at 75hz. This setting is well within
    both the card's and monitor's capabilities.

    My problem is that text "jiggles"--I can see the dots moving, seemingly
    left to right. This is not the flicker you'd see if your card were set
    to one of the lower refresh rates.

    I've had this problem for a couple years, and have done a few things to
    try to improve it.
    - replaced the original Redeon AIW 7500 card with an 8500.
    - had the monitor replaced *twice* including with a Mitsubishi Diamond
    something or other at a similar calibre to the current Multisync. I
    spent a great deal of time with NEC's tech support, nothing we did had
    much positive effect.
    - tried different video cards (Matrox and one of the cheaper nVidia
    powered cards) with the monitor and cable. This made the text perfect.
    - lower refresh rates and *much* lower resolutions do seem to solidify
    the image quality but not totally. The image quality was very stable at
    my video settings using the non-ATI cards.
    - wrote ATI--useless. They'd reply with canned answers but never got
    anything back to my detailed replies except "return the card." You
    could tell no human being was absorbing the logic that multiple cards
    and monitors had already been tried.

    Because I don't believe I've had two bum ATI cards, and taking
    everything else into account, I suspect the monitor cable or DVI adaptor
    have problems carrying the information they're being asked to carry.
    But this isn't something I know a lot about, so I'm hoping someone here
    could provide some guidance.

    Thanks in advance.

    Frank Burleigh, Jan 19, 2004

  2. Frank Burleigh

    Ben Pope Guest

    Any power adaptors in the vicinity of the monitor? The magnetic fields
    produced by the changing flux in the transformers can have exactly that
    effect. In fact, anything with a coil in it, such as speakers can do this.
    I've also seen DECT phone base units and anything else with an RF
    transmitter do it.

    Move the monitor to the middle of your room (or as far as it can reach from
    the walls) and see if the problem is still there.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Jan 20, 2004