jtag programming and debug

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Joseph Casey, Nov 10, 2004.

  1. Joseph Casey

    Joseph Casey Guest

    Greetings.
    Has anyone experience of using jtag tools by Marcel Telka. I would like
    to use it with GDB to develop an ARM based datalogger (MCU not selected
    yet) and also with a DSP project using Blackfin or TI DSP.

    How does the software compare with proprietary debug tools from IAR;
    Metroworks etc?

    Is the user interface very low level (at this stage) requiring a lot of
    user written code to be useful?

    Is the protocol for the basic facilities similar in all processors eg
    flash write; register dump?

    Is it a case that the clever stuff like On Chip Emulation will always be
    proprietary and therefore advantageous to use the manufacturer's own
    jtag pod?

    TIA
    Joseph Casey.

    Joseph Casey, Nov 10, 2004