    Compaq motherboard 191767-003 that came out of a Presario 5000.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks.

    DARY, Sep 12, 2006

  2. DARY

    Ben Myers Guest

    DARY,

    I'm assuming that you want to know what the pins do on the 20-pin header next to
    the floppy diskette connector. Compaq Presarios of this vintage all use the
    same pinout, because Compaq used a standard wiring harness and connector to the
    front panel buttons. The function of the other 2- and 3-pin headers on the
    motherboard are usually marked quite clearly.

    The 20-pin header is laid out like this, looking at the board with the floppy
    connector towards the bottom:

    x x X x x x x X K x
    x x X x K o x X K x

    where the "o" is an absence of a pin, to match with connector.

    The leftmost pair of large X's are attached to an on-off momentary switch.
    The rightmost pair of large X's are attached to green LED, probably the HDD
    active LED,
    The three pins marked "K" are attached to a tri-state yellow LED, probably the
    power LED with one state indicating a hibernating computer.

    I have the motherboard and wiring harness here, but not a Presario case which I
    threw back in the pile at the town dump, so I can't tell you which LED is the
    power LED and which is the hard drive LED for certain.

    The other pins on the header are not used on a Presario. One of the pairs may
    do a hard reset the motherboard, but the Presario chassis has no reset button.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 12, 2006