Just Added 200GB WD Hard Drive to 8200

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Bennett, Aug 29, 2004.

  1. Bennett

    Bennett Guest

    Got a new hd for backup, storage.

    I got the WD 200gb for $119 total. I installed sp1 because Dell support said
    I would have to for a HD > 137GB.

    Opened up the back. First surprise there was the barely used Zip drive using
    the HD cable. Unplugged that.

    Detached and put the old HD in the lower HD slot. This is a known issue as
    this would be the only way for the 2 HD to fit on the cable. Old HD has
    jumper as master.

    Put in the new HD. Jumper set as slave. The rails and screws in the empty
    slot were quite convenient and easy to use.

    Started it up. The one problem was that only 137 gb were recognized.
    Rechecked Dell. According to them sp1 should have sufficed but it didn't.
    Another option they gave was install "Intel Application Accelerator."
    Downloaded this and it worked.

    Pretty easy overall.

    Bennett, Aug 29, 2004

  2. Bennett

    Bob Levine Guest

    I thought Dell recommeded all harddrives be set up as cable select.
    Every one I've gotten has been set up that way.

    Bob

    Bob Levine, Aug 29, 2004

  3. Bennett

    Tom Scales Guest

    That was my thought too. Sounds like an 'expert' had been inside the machine
    and mucked around. Master/Slave works, as long as they are on the right
    spot on the cable.

    More importantly, did the OP go into the BIOS and set the drive to AUTO? If
    not, it will work, but not in DMA5 mode.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Aug 29, 2004

  4. Manufacturers generally use Cable Select because it's easier
    for them during assembly to not have to fiddle with jumpers and
    because it generates fewer inquiries to Tech Support.

    Why should it matter which connector on the cable has the
    "Master"-jumpered hard drive and which has the "Slave"-jumpered
    hard drive? All the IDE channel cares is that there isn't an open
    circuit at the end connector to give reflections that interfere with
    signals to or from the middle hard drive. I have tried reversing
    the jumpering, and the system still works.

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, Aug 29, 2004
  5. Bennett

    Tom Scales Guest

    Perhaps so. I was under the impression it would be more reliable if they
    were in the right 'spot' since it is a Cable select cable.

    My real point was that if the hard drive was set to Master, then someone
    changed it, since it came from the factory Cable Select.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Aug 29, 2004
  6. Bennett

    Ben Myers Guest

    All of the 80-pin ATA cables I have encountered from the time the industry went
    from 40-pin to 80-pin for hard drives are the cable select type. In other
    words, if you hold the cable up to the light, you will see light through a
    little hole where one of the wire leads has been cut. That's what makes it a
    "cable select" cable, for which the position (cable connector) of a drive
    determines whether it is master or slave. One cable connector "sees" the signal
    on the wire lead, and the other does not, because of the cut in the wire lead.

    With the older 40-pin (and maybe even some 80-pin that I haven't seen yet)
    master-slave type cables, the position of the drive on the cable does not matter
    one bit. The setting of a jumper as master or slave is what matters.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 30, 2004
  7. A Cable Select cable just provides Cable Select as an option,
    it does not select it. You can designate Master/Slave via the
    jumpers or designate Cable Select via those same jumpers -
    it is up to the jumpers to determine which method is used to
    designate Master/Slave. When using Cable Select, the drive
    at the end connector will be seen as the Master, the drive at
    the middle connector will be seen as the Slave. See http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/faq/ata_cable_select.html
    and websites of the various drive manufacturers.

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, Aug 30, 2004
  8. Bennett

    Bennett Guest

    Tom:
    Yes, the BIOS was set to auto when I booted after the install.

    Bennett

    Bennett, Sep 2, 2004