Just Bought a Vostro 400 - Now Second Thoughts

Discussion in 'Dell' started by RLE, Feb 19, 2008.

  1. RLE

    RLE Guest

    Yesterday purchased through Dell online a Vostro 400 with the following
    major specs:

    WinXP (Home)
    E6850 (3GHz, 1333FSB) Core 2 Duo processor
    3GB RAM
    500GB Hard drive
    NVIDIA 256MB 8600GT video

    (no monitor, will use my existing 19" 1901FP that came with the Dimension
    8300 I'm replacing)

    The Vostro will primarily run various photo editing software (occasionally
    Photoshop).

    I wasn't yet ready to invest a couple thousand $ in a high-end PC and opted
    for the Vostro figuring I'd get at least a couple years out of it. That,
    coupled with a $100 gift card and Dell's current coupons brought the price
    to a very affordable just over $600.00. Now, I'm not so sure of my decision
    as I'm reading about various issues with Vostro desktops such as the as yet
    unsolvable black screen of death, device conflicts, flimsy optical drive
    doors, etc.

    Anyone here have the Vostro 400 who could comment on it's stability and
    their satisfaction? I could probably cancel the order no later than today.

    RLE, Feb 19, 2008

  2. RLE

    Journey Guest

    Wow, that's a lot to get for $600! My advice: if in doubt, and if
    you can get the same deal later when you're more comfortable with your
    decision, cancel the order if there's no rush. For what it's worth...

    Journey, Feb 19, 2008

  3. i don't know of any big issues with the vostros 400, but the covers for the
    optical drives are definately a step backwards in computer design.
    i think the vostros 200 has the 'black screen' issue and i think that is
    related to symantec/norton which is a horrible program when run on any
    computer.
    i just wonder why after your concern about the video card you didn't spend
    the $30 more for the faster 8600gts.
    http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce8.html

    Christopher Muto, Feb 19, 2008
  4. RLE

    S.Lewis Guest

    My feelings about the Inspiron/Vostro desktops have been expressed here
    sufficiently in the past, so all I will say is that the OP could've
    considered a XPS420 from the Outlet (with a lesser video card probably) for
    just a little more than the $600 pricetag.

    At this point, since the OP has already ordered I think he'd be better off
    setting the Vostro up and seeing how it performs. He could always
    return/exchange it if he's not happy for some reason.

    It might just be that it does exactly what he needs w/o issue as it's
    currently configured.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Feb 19, 2008
  5. RLE

    Journey Guest

    That's what I would recommend. Cancel the order, and get the XPS 420.
    I'm very happy with my XPS 410.

    Journey, Feb 19, 2008
  6. and with the vostros he does have a 30 day return period (from the date
    shipped/invoiced) unlike the usual 21 day return period on most new
    purchases... but he will probbaly have to remind dell about this stated
    policy. still, it seems to me to be a very good value considering that the
    processor alone represents about half the total cost.

    Christopher Muto, Feb 19, 2008
  7. RLE

    S.Lewis Guest

    I certainly agree that he should give the system a ride before deciding, and
    I wouldn't argue about the value despite my personal bias.

    S.Lewis, Feb 19, 2008
  8. RLE

    me Guest

    Finally saw a 420 at best Buy

    Man that thing is huge! No!

    me, Feb 19, 2008
  9. RLE

    S.Lewis Guest

    It's the r0xX0Rs........

    Great machine. Essentially the same case as the Optiplex 7XX (and the older
    Dimension 91XX/92XX XPS4XX)

    S.Lewis, Feb 19, 2008
  10. RLE

    Bob Johnson Guest

    I was thinking of a Vostro 400 because I could get XP,
    the E6850 CPU, and the 8800GT card for about $700
    (I posted last week looking for opinions)

    I decided not to place the order because:

    1) the E6850 CPU (3.0GHz, 65nm, 4MB L2 Cache) will
    be replaced by E8400 (3.0GHz, 45nm, 6MB L2 Cache)
    (a bit faster, cheaper, lower power, more cache)
    http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=714

    2) NVidia 512MB 8800GT cards are plummeting in price
    They were around $250, but now see under $200 deals

    3) Some concerns about build quality and problems

    $700 looked like a deal a week ago, not anymore.

    My Dell8400 still works, but still want a new PC !

    Best Regards,
    Bob Johnson

    Bob Johnson, Feb 19, 2008
  11. That's what all the women say...

    But hey! Huge is beautiful. You can use
    the expansion bays for all kinds of add-ons
    later, including a mobile rack with slide-in/
    slide-out trays for addional hard drives.
    Like they say in car racing, nothing beats
    cubic inches.

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, Feb 19, 2008
  12. RLE

    RLE Guest

    | My feelings about the Inspiron/Vostro desktops have been expressed here
    | sufficiently in the past, so all I will say is that the OP could've
    | considered a XPS420 from the Outlet (with a lesser video card probably)
    for
    | just a little more than the $600 pricetag.
    |
    | At this point, since the OP has already ordered I think he'd be better off
    | setting the Vostro up and seeing how it performs. He could always
    | return/exchange it if he's not happy for some reason.
    |
    | It might just be that it does exactly what he needs w/o issue as it's
    | currently configured.
    |

    | Stew

    I'm pretty much patently opposed to Vista, hence I stayed away from the
    XPS420. Yes, I know, it can fairly easily be downgraded to XP (with loss of
    that box-integrated LCD panel), but I didn't want to do that.

    My four-year old Dim 8300 has been rock solid (save for a fried video card
    several months ago). Before that, I had an XPS-T. Both high-end machines
    when purchased with price tags to match. Don't want to lay out the cash
    right now for a honker of a machine, and XP is important to me.

    I'm confident the Vostro will suit my needs spec-wise, just concerned about
    its overall quality. As I said in my original post, if the Vostro gets me
    through two years, I'll be satisfied.

    RLE, Feb 19, 2008
  13. RLE

    RLE Guest

    | >> My feelings about the Inspiron/Vostro desktops have been expressed here
    | >> sufficiently in the past, so all I will say is that the OP could've
    | >> considered a XPS420 from the Outlet (with a lesser video card probably)
    | >> for just a little more than the $600 pricetag.
    | >>
    | >> At this point, since the OP has already ordered I think he'd be better
    | >> off setting the Vostro up and seeing how it performs. He could always
    | >> return/exchange it if he's not happy for some reason.
    | >>
    | >> It might just be that it does exactly what he needs w/o issue as it's
    | >> currently configured.
    | >>

    | >> Stew
    | >
    | > and with the vostros he does have a 30 day return period (from the date
    | > shipped/invoiced) unlike the usual 21 day return period on most new
    | > purchases... but he will probbaly have to remind dell about this stated
    | > policy. still, it seems to me to be a very good value considering that
    | > the processor alone represents about half the total cost.
    | >

    | I certainly agree that he should give the system a ride before deciding,
    and
    | I wouldn't argue about the value despite my personal bias.

    Heh, make that a "she" although there was no way to know ;-)

    This is exactly the point. The machine is a great value...if it performs (it
    should based on specs) as expected without some of the issues I've
    heard/read about. Thirty days minus the build/ship time is probably
    sufficient to make a judgment.

    RLE, Feb 19, 2008
  14. RLE

    S.Lewis Guest

    "Yes ma'am."

    :)

    Good luck.

    S.Lewis, Feb 19, 2008
  15. RLE

    S.Lewis Guest

    I've got a Dimension 8300/3.2GHz as well.

    I still might sell off the XPS420 (due to Vista). heh

    S.Lewis, Feb 19, 2008
  16. RLE

    Journey Guest

    Wait -- I would think the women would like huge.

    <bad joke of the month club>

    Journey, Feb 20, 2008
  17. RLE

    Journey Guest

    Returning is somewhat of a hassle and another expense for the buyer,
    so if he can cancel and get the 420 I think that's his best bet.

    Journey, Feb 20, 2008
  18. RLE

    Journey Guest

    If a 420, as Stew said, costs about the same, I'd go the XPS 420 route
    any day. I don't know about the Vostros, never experienced them never
    probably will, but I do know the quality of the 410 and if the 420 is
    an improvement on that I think he should go for that.

    Journey, Feb 20, 2008
  19. RLE

    Journey Guest

    Does Dell have a Vista to XP downgrade option?

    Journey, Feb 20, 2008
  20. RLE

    me Guest

    Good question

    Like you id only want XP pro on a 420.... not Vista!

    me, Feb 20, 2008