    construction of the 420 case better..... sturdier,
    etc.... or do you mean by quality that the 420 just has
    more room and "features"?

    me, Feb 20, 2008

  2. I wish it was similar to an Optiplex 7xx because I need a good
    computer with XP Pro or Vista Business but I don't think it is
    essentially the same. I've been looking at the Optiplex 755. The XPS
    420 has more PCI slots and a bigger power supply. Ports are different.
    The cases look very different. There are other differences.

    I don't know why they don't offer the XPS 420 with XP Pro or Vista
    Business like they did with the Dimension 92XX and 91XX.

    http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsdt_420
    http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/optix_755?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

    DaveJohnson12, Feb 20, 2008

  3. I think you get 21 days from the time you buy it to decide to return
    it.

    DaveJohnson12, Feb 20, 2008
  4. RLE

    Journey Guest

    The case of my 410, which I guess is similar to the 420, holds 4 SATA
    hard drives just fine (although I can't get the card reader cover to
    cover one bay where I put a hard drive there instead -- anyone able to
    do this?).

    It has a lot of slots for cards (which I use for more USB and firewire
    ports) and is just a solid performer.

    The OP had doubts and listed a number of them with the Vostro. I
    think he would have a more postiive experience with an outlet 420, and
    someone said it would be about the same price.

    Journey, Feb 20, 2008
  5. RLE

    RLE Guest

    XP is NOT an option on the 420. This is the primary reason I didn't buy it
    over the Vostro although I'd have much preferred the 420. There are some
    Dell forum posts where 420 owners have successfully "downgraded" to XP, with
    the loss of the box-integrated LCD panel. I recall reading about another
    component (sound???) for which a 420 XP driver was not available.

    RLE, Feb 20, 2008
  6. RLE

    S.Lewis Guest

    Quality of the actual hardware components, imo.

    The Vostro and Inspiron desktops are almost indistinguishable from a
    comparable EMachines system other than plastics.

    S.Lewis, Feb 20, 2008
  7. RLE

    S.Lewis Guest

    The basic BTX case and foundational hardware are the same.

    Obviously, the XPS420 has 1394/eSATA and other multimedia functions that the
    Opti755 does not have as a corporate machine. The PS differences are also
    understandable given that the XPS is positioned as a gaming box.

    They don't offer it with XP presumably because it is a "cutting edge"
    consumer box. If it had ever been offered with XP, I'd have expected them
    to put WinXP MCE on it.

    Alas......

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Feb 20, 2008
  8. RLE

    me Guest

    Well that sucks!

    me, Feb 20, 2008
  9. RLE

    S.Lewis Guest

    I've been debating doing this to mine, but haven't decided yet. I wanted to
    set it up for RAID1 like my current system with WinXP Pro. Thought about
    pulling the original (320gb) Vista drive and installing (1) of my current
    drives and doing a clean install of XP Pro, then building the RAID array.

    Also thought about just getting another 320gb HDD and working from there
    w/regards to RAID.

    I just need to make some time to decide what I will do with it.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Feb 20, 2008
  10. Christopher Muto, Feb 21, 2008
  11. RLE

    Journey Guest

    I don't think loss of the LCD panel would be too bad. Sound is
    another story. I wouldn't think that would be the case, but I guess
    the further we go into Vista-land (over a year already) some hardware
    could be Vista-only. I would hope that the integrated sound on a 420
    though would be XP compatible. Otherwise, if you don't need all the
    slots you could get a sound card compatible with XP, or the
    SoundBlaster external (which I have but am not currently using).

    Best wishes in whatever you decide.

    Journey, Feb 21, 2008