    just about everything (Sound, VGA, LAN, SATA, USB 2.0), so that will be
    perfect for her needs and will make it easier for me to maintain. I have two
    questions about it:

    ---
    I can't seem to find a definite answer as to whether the board supports the
    newer 400MHz-FSB Sempron 3100+ or 3200+ processors and PC3200 memory. Is
    anyone using the board with either of those CPUs? Or should I just play it
    safe and get a 3000+ Sempron (using 333 MHz FSB)?

    ---
    Anyone recommend a good Micro ATX *tower* case to serve as the new home for
    this mobo? I'm willing to lay out extra cash for something of quality,
    that's quiet, and easy to work with. I read a review of eight mATX cases at
    Tom's Hardware recently, but basically they all seem like junk. Also, the
    case must be a true mATX case, not a mid-tower... she doesn't have the space
    for anything bigger.

    Hackworth, Feb 20, 2005

  2. Has anyone got this MB working with SUSE/Mandrake.
    Do ethernet/3d graphics drivers work with a default install (like nforce
    does)?

    gtoomey

    Gregory Toomey, Feb 20, 2005

  3. Hackworth

    Wes Newell Guest

    It's a socket A (462) board. Buy an Athlon XP or XP-M. Socket A semprons
    suck. See Sempron in link in sig. If you deicide to not take my advice
    make sure you get a socket A model (shiver).
    A case is a case. it doesn't make noise. Only the components you put into
    it do like the PSU, case fans, CPU cooler, HD's, CDroms, etc. There's
    bascially hundreds to choose from. Can't help with this other than to say
    if you buy one with a PSU, try and find out what kind it is and the specs
    on it if possible. For noise you need to be concerned with the case fans,
    PSU, and CPU cooler. For a CPU cooler, a TR2-M1 is very good and very
    quiet. Make sure it'll fit though. If you buy a boxed retail socket A CPU,
    the coolers that come them aren't very good. I's replace it. For case
    fans, something no more than about 2500rpm if you don't want noise. The
    PSU noise is mostly made by the exhaust fan. Get a dual fan model or the
    so called silent models that have low rpm fans. At least 300W for socket A.

    Wes Newell, Feb 20, 2005
  4. Hackworth

    Hackworth Guest

    I will indeed look for an Athlon XP, then, and not a Sempron. That just goes
    to show how misinformed I am on the AMD side of the planet. I thought that
    the Sempron was just a rebadged Athlon XP. What's the difference between an
    Athlon XP and a Sempron?

    Hackworth, Feb 21, 2005
  5. Hackworth

    Wes Newell Guest

    See Sempron at one of the links below.

    Wes Newell, Feb 21, 2005
  6. Hackworth

    Hackworth Guest

    Well, that really blows chunks. Thanks a lot, AMD. And thanks Wes for the
    valuable information.

    Hackworth, Feb 22, 2005