    I guess I just expected more out of my Mac Laptop.

    Any thoughts?

    Toby

    TBoyett, Mar 24, 2008

  2. TBoyett

    AES Guest

    In my experience, most any Mac with "Video mirroring" turned on in the
    Monitors control panel -- sorry, preferences panel -- will project very
    well through most any LCD projector I've every encountered (and, will
    have very, very little trouble recognizing and communicating with the
    project) -- and the same for most LCD external displays.

    Why Apple doesn't _make_ its own brand of projectors? -- who knows?

    AES, Mar 24, 2008

  3. TBoyett

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    The Delll projector has a native resolution of 1024 by 768 pixels. If the
    signal being sent to the projector has a different resolution then the image
    will be degraded. Is the Mac set to 1024 by 768 when connected to the
    projector?

    As an aside, one can use the mirroring faciltiy on the Mac so that when the
    projector is connected the resolution of the Mac automatically changes to
    match that of the projector.

    TaliesinSoft, Mar 24, 2008
  4. TBoyett

    AES Guest

    Anyone interested in Apple Cinema displays should put on a pair of good
    quality polarizing sunglasses, go to the Apple Store, and have a look at
    the 20" and 23" models. Interesting (for optics freaks, anyway) (who
    are apparently not heavily represented among Apple engineers).

    AES, Mar 24, 2008
  5. TBoyett

    AES Guest

    What does "resolution of the Mac automatically changes to match that of
    the projector" actually mean, technically?

    [I guess I have this mental picture that the native nx by ny pixel
    resolution of a Mac is somehow hard-wired into the innards of the Mac
    itself, into some "display memory card" inside the Mac, and not set by
    the attached monitor screen. this must evidently be not correct --
    though I believe that in earlier days early PCs wrote their graphics
    output to a RAM (or core) memory card that had just nx X ny "pixels",
    and that was what then went onto the CRT screen.]

    AES, Mar 25, 2008
  6. TBoyett

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    The screen on my MacBook Pro has a pixel resolution of 1680 horizontal and
    1050 vertical. Although this resolution is built into the hardware one can
    set the "effective" resolution to a number of different ones, say 1024 by 768
    or 1280 by 800. Furthermore, using "mirroring" my Mac has the ability to
    sense when a projector is connected and will then adjust the Mac display to
    match the pixel resolution of the projector.

    TaliesinSoft, Mar 25, 2008
  7. TBoyett

    AES Guest

    I think that your statement that "this resolution is built *into* the
    hardware" really only means that "this is the resolution of the *display
    screen* that is built *onto* this particular computer".

    If I'm guessing correctly, 1680 X 1050 is not a special resolution that
    has some special standing in the CPU or special physical implementation
    in the video memory cards inside the Mac itself.

    Rather, the CPU has a set of algorithms which can convert (or
    "pixellate") the PDF-coded graphic output info generated by the Mac to
    match any resolution (or at least, any of a sizable set of resolutions)
    that the Mac is told have been attached to its video output port or
    channel.

    Is this interpretation anywhere near correct?

    AES, Mar 25, 2008
  8. TBoyett

    AES Guest

    OK.

    Out of curiousity, would the "non-display" portion of a standard MacBook
    (or maybe a Mini, which has no built-in monitor) -- that is the CPU and
    other information processing and memory parts -- be able to handle *any*
    Nx by Ny resolution display that might be connected up to it? (provided
    that the display "tells" the machine what resolution it is)

    Or is there only some discrete set of "standard" resolutions built into
    these machines, which are the only display resolutions these machines
    are prepared to accept from a display and handle (i.e., "drive")?

    AES, Mar 25, 2008