Just When You Think You Have Them Pegged

Discussion in 'Gateway' started by Kevin Childers, Sep 11, 2005.

  1. If you hate Gateway/Emachines tech support, stop here as you will have
    you most basic perceptions challenged.

    Two weeks ago I casually asked my grand-daughter why I never see her on
    line any more and why of late she has to come to our house to do her online
    homework. Reply, "Oh, didn't mom or dad tell you, lightning took out our
    computer and all of the house phones. Well since I fix that sort of stuff I
    volunteered to check it out.

    First off lightning did indeed hit the phone line and the telco guys had
    to replace lines to and in the house as well as the demarcation point box.
    The four phone system was Ok, but the base unit was a write off, no biggie,
    that is until I called their tech support. Nice folks, dumb as a bag of
    hammers and as helpful as knife with no blade. After an hour on the phone I
    took the easy way out an bought a new base unit and now the kids have a
    spare hand set.

    Ok, I put it off till last because I just knew it would be a royal pain.
    I checked out their PC, and Emachine(model D2685) and yep the modem was
    dead. Used the number off the back of the tower and called Emachines for
    service. Went through the phone tree and in about 2 minutes I was talking
    to a tech. Not just any tech, but one named Josh, badge # 70464. He had be
    do a test and confirmed my diagnosis. Told me what I needed and forwarded
    me to the parts desk where they checked to see if they had a matching modem
    model. Not in stock, but using some cross reference they said they had a
    near match with a Gateway modem that had a few added features. Then
    surprise they checked price and it was a even a few dollars cheaper. I
    agreed and they took my CC # and ask about shipping. Since the kids seemed
    in no rush I took standard shipping and was told it would be 5 to 7 days.
    Fine all done and they said I would get a confirmation and tracking number
    via Email. So far things all seemed to go surprisingly well.

    Six days later the modem arrived and I installed the hardware ran the
    software setup and was done in under 30 minutes. I can't explain it nor do
    I even suppose I could even guaranty how some one else could get this kind
    of service. I spoke to two very US born and bred sounding individuals with
    no muss and no fuss.

    It was almost like going back in time to the days when US companies made
    computers and US tech supported them. Back when folks in the PC business
    cared about customer satisfaction.

    Well that's my story, sorry for messing up the status quo and everyone's
    preconceived notions of what Emachines/Gateway service is like.

    KC

    Kevin Childers, Sep 11, 2005

  2. Well, I think that it is all luck of the draw. Sometimes you get good help,
    sometimes you get horror stories.

    In Kevin Childers <> stated

    Joan F \(MI\), Sep 12, 2005

  3. Kevin Childers

    Ed Guest

    Hey, no need to be sorry about anything... I'm just tickled pink for
    ya'. I love hearing feel good, warm & fussy stories about computer
    service related issues that came out right in the end. It's stories
    like that that give us all faith that there just might still be some
    hope for all of us out there. However, you used the word
    "preconceived" which makes it sound as if those that have issues with
    the process are doing so without any facts or first hand experience. I
    assure you that a little research into the cause/result ratio
    associated with the downward spiral of conglomerates associated with
    the mass marketing and sales of third world produced computers will
    show it to be much more than a "preconceived" notion.

    Regards,
    Ed

    Ed, Sep 12, 2005
  4. Kevin Childers

    pengulin Guest

    No doubt this is how customer service should be. Nothing more. Definitely
    nothing less. Turning things around, however, you seem to have been the
    model customer, if there is such a thing. For example, I notice you didn't
    demand that a lightning-damaged modem be replaced under warrantee. You
    didn't demand special treatment, but were satisfied with good customer
    service. Had you needed the modem right away, I suspect you would have been
    willing to pay for more expensive shipping.

    pengulin, Sep 13, 2005
  5. Kevin Childers

    Scott Guest

    KC,

    Wow...that's great to hear! That's sounds like the kind of service I always got
    from Gateway, up until a few years ago. It's encouraging to learn that one can
    still occasionally get some great hands-on service. You made my day :)

    Scott

    Scott, Sep 14, 2005