    multplier. The cache? the pci bus , the scsi controller. Suggestions
    as to what might be the failing component and how to test would be much
    appreciated--or does W98 need a reinstallation.

    Leo Tick, Jun 26, 2003

  2. Leo Tick

    Jake Guest

    Jake, Jun 27, 2003

  3. Leo Tick

    Leo Tick Guest

    Leo Tick, Jun 27, 2003
  4. Leo Tick

    Leo Tick Guest

    I am not sure I undrstand what that means about the agp speed (which is
    66). The memory is sdram pc-100 and the settings for memory as per the
    manual (unless that's in error) But The failure occurs when I change the
    multiplier.. I dont believe this has anything to do with memory (or does
    it) Where is this AGP thig described- We are not using an agp card

    Leo Tick, Jun 27, 2003
  5. Leo Tick

    Leo Tick Guest

    I made that eror before but this time no . It's not that is slow but
    the it stalls My intuition goes to the controller. Is this reasonable

    Leo Tick, Jun 27, 2003
  6. Leo Tick

    Kyle Brant Guest

    1. what exact k62 cpu model are you using? some k62 CPUs were 95 MHz
    fsb rated.
    2. to check your memory subsystem out for proper operation get
    memtest86 at www.memtest86.com ; the d/l will create a boot test
    floppy for memory testing
    3. I had problems with my 503+ and cheap quality memory, had to buy
    "good stuff" from Crucial to get rid of the problems. One way to test
    this is to run the memory at 66 MHz and the cpu fsb at 100 mhz.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Kyle Brant, Jun 27, 2003
  7. Leo Tick

    Leo Tick Guest

    1. I am using 95 fsb which is ok with me. I believe that when I used
    this chip on my 2013 it would not work with 100. I don't see but that
    may be only my ignorance, why memory should be effected by the multiplier
    my weak logic says the fsb is the controlling memory speed. Is that no
    so.
    2. The memory is already crucial. Will try the test (my cycle time for
    fooling with this machine is about a week) It is a collegue's who lives
    some distance)

    3. Would appreciate any comments about disk controller and cpu speed on
    the 503+
    Thank for the suggestions .

    Leo Tick, Jun 28, 2003
  8. Leo Tick

    Kyle Brant Guest

    Heh, well, ya tapped me out on the other suggestions, no idea about
    that disk controller, except that the fsb will have no effect upon
    it's bus interface to the cpu (except that 95 MHz fsb will give you a
    PCI bus speed of 31.6 MHz which is very much within spec). You have
    already identified why the CPU does not work at 100 MHz fsb.

    Kyle Brant, Jun 28, 2003