K6/III-450 + into a Compaq Notebook 100 -- Anyone done it before?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by R. Asby Dragon, Oct 24, 2004.

  1. Present CPU is a K6-2/475 ACK stepping; but it is 2.0V Vcore

    I'm well-versed on the K6+ series CPUs ; I'm gonna do it anyway as I've
    still got a couple of the III+ chips left over from building some kick-ass
    K6 desktops a few years ago. The worst case is that I'll have to put the old
    cpu back in.

    This may appear to be an 'almost nill' upgrade; but the III+ adds on-die
    256K L2 cache at internal CPU bus speed which is good for about a 10-30%
    increase in effective speed (depends on applications) . It's also much
    cooler as it's .18 micron versus .25 for the existing K6-2 (draws about 25%
    less current. It can also be over/underclocked from within Windows or linux
    with (Thanks Kyle if you see this! ) K6Speed.

    Just curious if anyone has done this swap and the results ?

    PS: if anyone is looking for a K6-III/450+ ; try
    http://www.softwareandstuff.com/h_comp_amdk63plus.html ($50)
    They may be sold out; but it seems they findum again.
    http://www.upgradeability.com/K6plus/index.htm?source=AdWords1#prices
    Has them also; but pricier

    R. Asby Dragon, Oct 24, 2004

  2. R. Asby Dragon

    Steel Pig Guest

    Have used them in notebooks with great sucess.

    Set Multiplier to 2.0X and you have 600mhz screamer.

    Have found that they do not run any hotter either.

    Now only if the bios will support the chip.

    Good Luck.

    Still use a K6III+ along side my 2.8 P4 and my 64 bit AMD's

    Steel Pig, Oct 25, 2004

  3. I did this on a couple of old Compaqs at work. Even found anew bios on
    their website that correctly recognized the new processor. After toggleing
    the multiplier dip switches, I finalized on leaving them runnig at 500mhz.
    Heat is an issue, so while you're in there, blow out the dust and re-new
    the thermal compound before closing up the case. As for performance
    differences... yeah... it much better. But after a day or so, you're back
    to wishing you had laptop with an athlon processor in it...

    Save your $50.00 put it towards buying more memory when you eventually buy a
    laptop that's more current.

    Cheers.

    Registered Linux User Number 185956
    FSF Associate Member number 2340 since 05/20/2004
    Buy an Xbox for $149.00, run linux on it and Microsoft loses $150.00!
    10:28am up 15 days, 17:14, 5 users, load average: 1.87, 1.54, 1.40

    Jerry McBride, Oct 25, 2004
  4. Hi,

    this should work far as in my Armada 100S works a K6-2+ 533 mht. At
    least for a maximum of performance I would recommend this cpu because
    you can use it without too much risk at 600 MHz. You can set the dip
    switch easyly to 100 mht FSB. I left the multplier on 5,5 and change the
    CPU speed under dos or windows manually via software. Instead of having
    a quite high overclocked cpu I decided to decrease the cpu vcore by 0,1
    V and achieved a much cooler system. In usual work like document
    processing the fan doesn't star anytime. Only after some time of 100%
    cpu-usage it starts. No crashs with 550 mht but under 600 unstable, but
    I don't care too much.

    Greetings

    Sebastian

    Sebastian Knieschewski, Oct 26, 2004
  5. R. Asby Dragon

    youbetta Guest

    Don't post in SA for sale computers, SA! Don't report legit posters as
    spammers to eBay, jerko.

    youbetta, Nov 10, 2004
  6. Sebastian Knieschewskiwrote:
    Hi,

    this should work far as in my Armada 100S works a K6-2+ 533 mht. At
    least for a maximum of performance I would recommend this cpu because

    you can use it without too much risk at 600 MHz. You can set the dip
    switch easyly to 100 mht FSB. I left the multplier on 5,5 and change
    the
    CPU speed under dos or windows manually via software. Instead of
    having
    a quite high overclocked cpu I decided to decrease the cpu vcore by
    0,1
    V and achieved a much cooler system. In usual work like document
    processing the fan doesn't star anytime. Only after some time of 100%

    cpu-usage it starts. No crashs with 550 mht but under 600 unstable,
    but
    I don't care too much.

    Greetings

    Sebastian[/quote:1dcb6eae6a]

    If I can get a K6 III might try it but first I need the dip switch
    settings for the Compaq notebook 100 as someone has messed with them
    before I obtained the laptop. I need all the settings for voltage,
    speed and multiplier. Also will the bios update for the 100s work on
    the notebook 100.

    Thanks in advance.

    turnitandburnit, Nov 14, 2004