    whether the JI4333 BIOS patch works properly to support the K6-III/450
    plus CPU. Hoping to get lots of responses.
    Thanks, Gibby

    Gibby, Dec 14, 2003

  2. Gibby

    Tim Guest

    Just a few....

    From: Tim ()
    Subject: Re: Anyone ever get a PA-2013 to run a K6-3+ ???
    Newsgroups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic
    Date: 2001-02-24 21:23:23 PST

    I've got that board running the K6-3 450+ @ 600mhz 2.0v. It was just
    like setting up the 503+ board.

    -------------------------------

    From: Jerry ()
    Subject: Re: PA2013 Rev. 2.0 with K6-2+ or K6-III+?
    Newsgroups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic
    Date: 2000-10-10 12:59:41 PST

    I can answer a couple questions. I just put the PA 2013 rev2.0 in yesterday to
    replace my 503+ that had a bad dimm bank. I was also running the K6-2/550. I
    had to flash the bios to JI4330 for it to recognize it and work. I currently
    have it set at 550 with 2.1v.

    --------------------------------

    From: Colin L. Whipple ()
    Newsgroups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic
    Date: 2000-10-10 16:52:09 PST

    My K6-III+ came today. I have a PCB 2.0 mobo.

    The flash bios upgrade to JI4330 went well, and my system is running at
    500Mhz, 2.0 Volts.

    ---------------------------------

    From: Robert A. Barr ()
    Subject: K6-III+ on a PA-2013
    Newsgroups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic
    Date: 2000-10-06 20:14:10 PST

    The flash to the 4330 BIOS was uneventful, and the new BIOS seems to
    speed up the IDE detection at bootup; there's also some difference at
    shutdown which I'll discuss later, but which might be very important for
    people with IBM 75GXP hard drives.

    I didn't even bother testing it at 450 -- why? It'll never stay
    there...

    @500: CPUMark = 54.1 2.0v core.
    @550: CPUMark = 58.4 2.0v core.

    This displayed some instability after running for about half an hour;
    Netscape got cranky. I upped the voltage to 2.1, and that's as high as
    I'm going. At 2.1 volts, everything is stable.

    -----------------------------------

    From: Brad Soe ()
    Subject: Re: Can't install an AMD k6-3 450+ in FIC PA 2013. Help!!
    Newsgroups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic
    Date: 2000-10-24 11:26:14 PST

    Upgrading the BIOS did it. I am currently running at 5x112 (~550Mhz) using NT 4
    without any problems yet!! This is amazing!

    ------------------------------------

    From: Patrick Boehm ()
    Subject: Re: Fic pa 2013 and beta bios to support k63+ cpu's
    Newsgroups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic
    Date: 2000-12-13 19:11:16 PST

    Guess what! Got the 450 k63+ going at 550 mhz, 2.1 volts. Using standard
    heatsink and fan. Let you know if it lasts a day. :) Bios version ji4330.

    -------------------------------------

    Tim, Dec 15, 2003

  3. Gibby

    Gibby Guest

    Thanks Tim for the post - always informative. Everybody references the
    Bios JI4330 as the one to use, but I've been on sites that say to use
    the beta bios JI4333.zip for PA=2013 and JE4333.zip for VA503+. So,
    I'm not sure which one to use.
    See the following link for specs:
    http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm

    What say you (and others)?
    Thanks, Gibby

    Gibby, Dec 15, 2003
  4. Gibby

    Tim Guest

    The reason most reference Jx4330 is because Jx4331 and Jx4333 had not
    been released at the time or few people knew of them. These were
    excerpted from discussions that are 3~4 years old. 4333 is the latest
    in the 433x Series and is generally the better of the three due to the
    improvements.

    There is also an APM version for the PA-2013 based on JI4333:

    http://www.geocities.com/tcsenter/ji4333apm.zip

    Right-click and choose 'Save As' or paste the address into a new
    browser.

    Regards,

    Tim

    Tim, Dec 16, 2003
  5. Gibby

    Gibby Guest

    Tim: You are a wealth of information, indeed! I did hear from one
    email that the person used Jx4333 with VA503+ and everything is going
    well for 2 to 3 years. As far as APM version, what is APM? It will
    likely come to me as soon as I press Post.
    Thanks, Gibby

    Gibby, Dec 16, 2003
  6. APM (Advanced Power Management) is the power management scheme that predated ACPI. In addition to power,
    ACPI also handles resource management, replacing Plug and Play. Some people have problems running their
    computers with ACPI, often because of buggy drivers or OS support. The APM BIOS gives them the option to go
    back to the "old" way of doing things.

    --Alex

    Alex Zorrilla, Dec 17, 2003
  7. Gibby

    Shadowman Guest

    FWIW, I've been using a 500 Mhz-rated K6-2+ in my PA-2013 for the last
    three years or so, overclocked to 550 Mhz from the word go. The system has
    been practically trouble-free and I've been v. happy with the performance,
    all things considerd. It's not a K6-III+ but it's not far short in
    performance, and was significantly easier and cheaper to obtain.
    But despite using quality PC133 RAM, I could never get it stable at 600
    Mhz or increase the RAM speed past 100.
    My CPU99 benchmark score, tested as I write this, is 49.4.
    For anybody who wants to stick with Socket 7, I'd recommend obtaining a
    K6-2+. The 500 Mhz-rated ones were common and I've seen references to
    550-rated examples...
    The JI4333 BIOS works fine for me. And I have all the settings at their
    most "aggressive".

    Shadowman, Dec 19, 2003
  8. Gibby

    Gibby Guest

    Just checking in to let everybody know that I have installed a
    K6-III/450 + Mhz CPU on my PA-2013 using P133 Cas3 Crucial memory (all
    3 slots) with the JI4333 Bios and everything seems to be working well.
    I don't overclock like many others. Shadowman, what are your BIOS
    "aggressive settings" on the Pa-2013? I'd be interested in what works
    for you. Or is there a site that indicates these aggressive settings?
    Gibby

    Gibby, Dec 25, 2003