K7ADA owners - beware!

Discussion in 'Soyo' started by Dave Garrett, Oct 4, 2003.

  1. Dave Garrett

    Dave Garrett Guest

    I've read many complaints about problems with the K7ADA/K7ADA 1.0 boards
    here over the past couple of years, including the eye-opening statistic
    of a 30% failure rate. I thought I was one of the lucky ones until last
    week, when I arrived home to discover that after a brief power outage in
    the morning, my K7ADA 1.0 was dead as a doornail - no post beeps, no
    video, nothing. I had it for a little over a year and a half, and it was
    the first mobo that I've had in over a dozen years that has suffered a
    complete failure.

    The board wasn't OC'd, and was running the default BIOS settings. In
    spite of that, I still had occasional problems resulting from its well-
    documented sensitivity to memory. Most of these went away once I
    upgraded to Mushkin sticks, but I still continued to get complete
    lockups necessitating a hard reboot once in a while, usually while
    running Windows Media Player and a web browser at the same time.

    I replaced the dead board with an Abit NF7, and after screwing around
    for a couple of days with an inability to boot Win2K after swapping
    boards (apparently a known problem with Win2K due to conflicting IDE
    drivers), I finally got everything back up and running smoothly again.
    The Abit so far appears to be a better board with more features than the
    K7ADA (as it should be, considering it was substantially more
    expensive).

    IMHO, a year and a half's use before complete failure is totally
    unacceptable for a motherboard, even a lower-end one. After this
    experience, I seriously doubt I'll ever buy another Soyo product. If
    you're running a K7ADA board now, consider yourself forewarned, as you
    may be operating on borrowed time.

    Dave

    Dave Garrett, Oct 4, 2003

  2. Dave Garrett

    PlaySaver Guest

    I've read many complaints about problems with the K7ADA/K7ADA 1.0 boards
    Instead of just blaming the motherboard for dieing after this power outage,
    maybe you should also blame the possibly crappy power supply that may have let
    that power outage create a surge that could damage the mother board in the
    first place. Unless your using a ups you are at the mercy of any power surges
    and outages that may happen to you computer.
    I'm not saying that motherboard wasn't bad, but other factors can cause
    problems to even the best boards.
    Your new abit board may not be safe from those power problems.
    Get a ups. It can provide safe power downs if the power fails or surges.

    PlaySaver, Oct 5, 2003

  3. Dave Garrett

    RG Guest

    I've used 10 K7ADAs at work and five of them have failed. All five had
    capacitor problems. They were all on a UPS. I'm a Soyo fan and still use
    Soyo boards, but the K7ADA wasn't a good experience.

    RG, Oct 5, 2003
  4. Dave Garrett

    Bishoop Guest

    RG wrote:
    | I've used 10 K7ADAs at work and five of them have failed. All five had
    | capacitor problems. They were all on a UPS. I'm a Soyo fan and still
    | use Soyo boards, but the K7ADA wasn't a good experience.

    ||| boards here over the past couple of years, including the
    ||| eye-opening statistic of a 30% failure rate. I thought I was one of
    ||| the lucky ones until last week, when I arrived home to discover
    ||| that after a brief power outage in the morning, my K7ADA 1.0 was
    ||| dead as a doornail - no post beeps, no video, nothing. I had it for
    ||| a little over a year and a half, and it was the first mobo that
    ||| I've had in over a dozen years that has suffered a complete failure.
    || Instead of just blaming the motherboard for dieing after this power
    || outage, maybe you should also blame the possibly crappy power supply
    || that may have let that power outage create a surge that could damage
    || the mother board in the first place. Unless your using a ups you are
    || at the mercy of any power surges and outages that may happen to you
    || computer.
    || I'm not saying that motherboard wasn't bad, but other factors can
    || cause problems to even the best boards.
    || Your new abit board may not be safe from those power problems.
    || Get a ups. It can provide safe power downs if the power fails or
    || surges.

    Maybe those five failures were due to defective electrolytic capacitors that
    plagued the industry for a while.

    Bishoop, Oct 5, 2003
  5. Dave Garrett

    RG Guest

    It probably was due to that problem but it doesn't change the fact that 5
    out of 10 failed.

    RG, Oct 6, 2003
  6. Dave Garrett

    Bishoop Guest

    RG wrote:
    | ||
    || RG wrote:
    ||| I've used 10 K7ADAs at work and five of them have failed. All five
    ||| had capacitor problems. They were all on a UPS. I'm a Soyo fan and
    ||| still use Soyo boards, but the K7ADA wasn't a good experience.
    || Maybe those five failures were due to defective electrolytic
    || capacitors that plagued the industry for a while.
    | It probably was due to that problem but it doesn't change the fact
    | that 5 out of 10 failed.

    I wasn't trying to remove blame, just point out a possible reason.

    Bishoop, Oct 6, 2003
  7. Dave Garrett

    Doug G. Guest

    For a list of just a few brands of motherboards that suffered from bad
    caps from around that time look here.

    http://www.motherboardrepair.com/

    Doug

    Doug G., Oct 6, 2003
  8. Dave Garrett

    Big Bird Guest

    That's an intersting statement. Google groups search on "K7ADA" in
    this ng returns 619 hits. That's the total number of hits over the
    life time of the board that mention the number.

    Is that a lot?

    I tried a couple other numbers in other MoBo manufacturer's newsgroups
    and I couldn't find one with *fewer* hits -- but then again, the
    boards that I know from ECS or Abit or FIC are all fairly widely
    distributed. I'd be curious to see some statistics about the failure
    rate of this board; do you have a link or something?

    My own experience has beeen fairly good with it (even though I -do- OC
    the hell out of it).

    Weeellll ... if a "brief power outage" leaves your machine dead, I'd
    be looking at the UPS (you have one, right?) not the MoBo ...

    Well - sure: Spending a lot and getting good quality isn't terribly
    hard (though can still go wrong).

    Spending as little as possible while still getting the level of
    quality you'd like -- that's the trick. If you ever figure it out,
    tell us ;)

    Big Bird, Oct 21, 2003