K7N2-Delta-ILSR failing after Micro$oft AMD K7 windowsupdate! ARGGHHH

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Steve, Aug 22, 2004.

  1. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Hi,

    I hav a MSI K7N2-Delta-ILSR Mobo and it has 2 160GB Maxtor
    SATA drives attached. I installed the system in June 2003
    with winXP and RAID 0 Striping mode. The system has worked
    beautifully for more than a year. I a made the critical
    error of letting Windowsupdate grab updates and load them
    to my system to update a hardware based update for the AMD
    K7 chips. I read the info and it looked like a proper patch
    and I have used windowsupdate regularly to pacth the SPs on
    my XP box, etc.

    The issue is that right after that K7 patch my system goes through
    POST and gets the FastBuild Raid section and I see flashing "Offline"
    for my RAID 0 setup. I can press Control-F and get into the Promise
    Fast Build utility but it will not let me bring the RAID drives
    "online". When I go through the various menus it shows that only
    1 drive is now in the raid system but no matter what combination of
    menus I go through it will not let me bring the second drive back
    into the array even though I never removed it!!!

    I am desperate here as I don't want to lose all my data. Anyone have
    *any* ideas or had this problem before and can offer some advice it
    is *GREATLY* appreciated.

    Thanks!!!

    Steve, Aug 22, 2004

  2. Steve

    logized Guest

    I don't have any experience of this happening myself - but according to the
    MSI serial ata raid manual it says -
    "Offline - A striped array has 1 drive that has failed or been disconnected.
    When the array condition is "offline," the user must replace the failed
    drive(s), then restore data from a backup source."

    You could check all the cables to the drives and check the bios settings to
    ensure that the "integrated peripherals" section of the bios config has your
    S-ATA channels correctly configured.
    If it appears that both drives are still physically working - but the raid
    is corrupt - then it MAY be possible to re-create the array without total
    loss of data.
    According to the Promise raid controller web site -

    "If one of the RAID 0 hard drives has failed, it is not possible to recover
    your data. If all of the members of the array are still functioning, it may
    be possible to recover your data. In the FastBuild BIOS utility, delete the
    array and re-create it [ IMPORTANT: Make sure that when you recreate the
    array you use exactly the same array settings (RAID level, drive
    assignments, and stripe size) of the original array ]. Going offline may
    indicate trouble with a hard drive, so it is recommended to perform a data
    backup and then perform a disk diagnostic on the hard drives."

    Dave

    logized, Aug 22, 2004

  3. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Thanks for the pointers! It turns out, though not intuitive
    AT ALL, that you have to delete the array completely and have
    the guts to say "Y" to all the warnings telling you "are you
    sure" when you delete it and then add it back. Once I did that
    it magically booted back up. What a piece of crap
    utility this Promise "Fast Build 2.00" thing is....

    thanks again...

    Steve, Aug 23, 2004
  5. Steve

    Centurion Guest

    As it so happens, most (all) of these so called "RAID Controllers" are
    actually software driven pieces of crap - the hardware is only just enough
    to boot from, and that's it. You want *real* hardware RAID - I suggest you
    get a *real* controller. The on-board RAID stuff (especially Promise) is
    crap - unless the board is ServerWorks (which you usually find in HP/Compaq
    and some IBM stuff).

    If, OTOH, you can live with shitty hardware, backup often :) Glad it worked
    out for you this time.

    James

    Centurion, Aug 23, 2004