    Maxtor 120 GB SATA HD (bootdrive and only HD)

    Please help
    Frederic Coolman

    Frederic Coolman, Jul 13, 2003

  2. Frederic Coolman

    MojoRising Guest

    I had problems with sound distortion and shutdown errors doing a one click
    install of the complete driver package.The key is to install the drivers
    one at a time,shutdown,reboot,and make sure everything works with no errors
    before installing the next driver.

    F8 during POST see if you can get into Windows Advanced Options menu and
    try Last Known Good Configuration or Safe Mode.Then use system restore to
    get your system back to where it was before you installed the Nvidia driver
    package or roll back the Nvidia drivers in Device Manager.If you can't get
    in,boot with WinXP install CD to repair with the recovery console then F6
    when prompted to reinstall the corrupted 3rd party raid driver from a
    floppy.Reinstalling WinXP may be your only choice.

    When you can boot into your system again install the Nvidia drivers "one at
    a time". Direct Windows to the Nvidia package and let it find the specific
    driver when the device is recognized during bootup or install from within
    Device Manager then reboot.Roll a driver back if it causes problems.

    I installed onboard sound,ethernet,then usb2.0,without having to rollback
    drivers and didn't install anything else in the package.The system is
    stable and everything on board works.My system is a K7N2 Delta-
    L,XP2500Barton,with 2x256MB PC2700 Kingston Value Ram,and an old ATI All-
    In-Wonder Rage Pro PCI video card multibooting Win98SE,Win2K,and WinXP.
    Go to the Nvidia website for alternative nforce2 driver packages and the
    Realtek site for a sound driver package.

    MojoRising, Jul 13, 2003