    over to the new drive. The old drive still seems to be working but it would
    not remotely surprise me if the 5 beeps have something to do with the old
    drive.

    rhino, Apr 14, 2007

  2. rhino

    ALE Guest

    ALE, Apr 15, 2007

  3. rhino

    Kyle Guest

    If running win2k or xp or vista, check the system logs since some disk
    errors are reported there.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle
    | I have a K7S5A motherboard and, for the past several days, has
    gotten into
    | the habit of beeping 5 times at the very end of the bootup, just as
    the
    | desktop loading finishes. I am running Windows XP SP2.
    |
    | Any idea what the beeps mean? I assume it is something bad but I
    have no
    | idea what it means or how to find out, except to ask here.
    |
    | For what it's worth, I've had this motherboard for over 6 years now
    and it
    | has only started doing this in the last few days. In February, I had
    major
    | issues with my hard drive and acquired a replacement drive. However,
    I still

    Kyle, Apr 17, 2007
  4. rhino

    Buffalo Guest

    My previous post to your question was:

    "I think that 5 beeps indicates cpu failure. Possibly do some searching in
    google.
    Clogged heatsink, faulty cpu fan, etc.
    Buffalo"

    Unfortunately, it may be the MB itself.
    See below:

    AMI BIOS beep codes

    1 beep - DRAM refresh failure

    2 beeps - Parity Circuit Failure

    3 beeps - Base 64K RAM failure

    4 beeps - System Timer Failure

    5 beeps - Processor Failure

    6 beeps - Keyboard Controller / Gate A20 Failure

    7 beeps - Virtual Mode Exception Error

    8 beeps - Display Memory Read/Write Failure

    9 beeps - ROM BIOS Checksum Failure

    10 beeps - CMOS Shutdown Register Read/Write Error

    For 1 beep, 2 beeps, or 3 beeps try reseating the memory first. If the error
    still occurs, replace the memory with known good chips/SIMM's.

    For 4 beeps, 5 beeps, 7 beeps, or 10 beeps the system board must be sent in
    for repair.

    For 6 beeps try reseating the keyboard controller chip. If the error still
    occurs, replace the keyboard chip.

    If the error persists, check parts of the system relating to the keyboard,
    e.g. try another keyboard, check to see if the system has a keyboard fuse.

    8 beeps indicates a memory error on the video adapter. Replace the video
    card or the memory on the video card.

    9 beeps indicates faulty BIOS chip(s). It is not likely that this error can
    be corrected by reseating the chips.

    Consult the motherboard supplier or an AMI product distributor for
    replacement part(s).

    If no beeps are heard and no display is on the screen, The first thing to
    check is the power supply. Connect a LED to the POWER LED connection on the
    motherboard. If this LED lights and the drive(s) spin up then the power
    supply will usually be good. Next, inspect the motherboard for loose
    components. A loose or missing CPU, BIOS chip, Crystal Oscillator, or
    Chipset chip will cause the motherboard not to function.

    Next, eliminate the possibility of interference by a bad or improperly set
    up I/O card by removing all card except the video adapter.

    The system should at least power up and wait for a drive time-out. Insert
    the cards back into the system one at a time until the problem happens
    again. When the system does nothing, the problem will be with the last
    expansion card that was put in.

    If the above suggestions fail to cause any change in the dysfunction of the
    system, the motherboard must be returned for repair.

    AMI BIOS beep codes from their FTP site.

    Buffalo, Aug 27, 2007