    turning on and off.
    If I replace the old CPU, the system works as fine as usual. So, do you know
    what the problem can be? Maybe a damaged XP CPU? Or there are
    incompatibilites between the 2400+ and PC133 SDRAM? Unfortunately I haven't
    any DDR SDRAM to try...

    --
    ___ __
    / __|___ Daniele Gratteri, Italian Commodore-Amiga user... ///
    | / |__/ Nickname: FIAT1100D - ICQ: 53943994 __ ///
    | \__|__\ Home page: http://www.gratteri.tk \\\///
    \___| E-MAIL: ...since 1990 \///

    Daniele Gratteri, Aug 21, 2003

  2. Daniele Gratteri

    jaster Guest

    Unless you see physical damage I doubt the cpu is defective. Not impossible
    but doubtful.
    Clear the CMOS as stated in the ECS manual with the XP2400 installed and
    boot again. Everything else should be fine, set your bios cpu timings to
    133/133.

    jaster, Aug 21, 2003

  3. Daniele Gratteri

    jaster Guest

    PS. Your English is embarrasingly good.

    jaster, Aug 21, 2003
  4. Daniele Gratteri

    Shep© Guest

    You cannot fully clear the CMOS on an ATX powered board with power to
    the board.Pull power cord out or use the Power supply isolation switch
    to turn it off and then clear the CMOS and try again.
    HTH :)

    Shep©, Aug 21, 2003
  5. Daniele Gratteri

    Shep© Guest

    Leave the power out until the morning and try again :)

    Shep©, Aug 21, 2003
  6. Daniele Gratteri

    jaster Guest

    I would set the timings to 100/100 and try the XP2400 before I went to the
    133/133 on the 1000mhz. I also suggest Memtest86 from www.livewiredev.com
    to test your system memory using the 1000mhz .

    jaster, Aug 22, 2003
  7. The memory, tested with the 1000MHz with 100/133 timings, is working fine
    since MemTest86 gave no error messages (what a very good memory test
    program!). So you suggest to set the timings to 100/100 and then to install
    the XP 2400+ without clearing the CMOS?

    --
    ___ __

    Daniele Gratteri, Aug 23, 2003
  8. With the clear CMOS jumper set, the PC won't power on at all.

    --
    ___ __

    Daniele Gratteri, Aug 23, 2003
  9. Daniele Gratteri

    Kyle Brant Guest

    Fwiw, the actual home page of memtest86 is found at www.memtest86.com.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Kyle Brant, Aug 23, 2003
  10. Daniele Gratteri

    jaster Guest

    If after turning the PC on with the CMOS jumper set to clear for 1-5
    seconds and returning the jumper back to normal setting, rebooting and that
    doesn't boot the PC then I say RMA the cpu.

    Your memory tested fine, the board works with a 1000mhz, you have the latest
    bios installed for your K7S5A motherboard, you have reset the CMOS clear
    jumper and the cpu still fails to boot it is time to return the cpu for a
    replacement. It happens.

    jaster, Aug 24, 2003
  11. It turned out that it was a bad CPU: exchanged it with another one and it
    works, but I still have some problems... I'll have to do some fine-tuning on
    my system.

    --
    ___ __

    Daniele Gratteri, Sep 27, 2003