K7S5A Pro and old, old i740 AGP card -- freezes

Discussion in 'ECS' started by larrymoencurly, Aug 28, 2003.

  1. I'm having problems getting Win98 and 98SE to work in a K7S5A Pro when
    I use old i740 video cards. Except in Safe Mode, when I close a
    Windows program the screen, keyboard, and mouse cursor will freeze,
    and only hitting the reset button will make the computer do anything
    again. There are no other cards in the system. I've tried:

    1. Reinstalling SiS AGP drivers 1.10 and 1.16a
    2. Reinstalling the Intel driver (4.09 and 3.2)
    3. Reinstalling Win98 and 98SE
    4. Clean installations of Win98 and 98SE
    5. Switching between DDR and PC133
    6. Slowing the memory and CPU buses from 133 MHz to 100
    7. Changing the AGP aperture size anywhere from 4M-128M
    8. Turning off AGP 4x support in the BIOS.
    9. Removing the video card in the Device Manager

    There are no problems with TNT2 and SiS 305 AGP cards or with PCI
    video cards Also the i740 worked OK with the same software with the
    P4S5A, which is a Pentium 4 mobo based on another SiS chipset.

    I realize that the i740 is a dinosaur, but I'd like to know what's
    going on.

    larrymoencurly, Aug 28, 2003

  2. larrymoencurly

    Kyle Brant Guest

    Directx version compatibility? I recall the i740 drivers only went so
    far in supporting directx. (I had one of those cards also).

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Kyle Brant, Aug 28, 2003