K7S5A R1.1 - SIS AGP driver with Win XP?

Discussion in 'ECS' started by Ellwood, Dec 22, 2004.

  1. Ellwood

    Ellwood Guest

    Hello,

    With Win XP what are the pros and cons of installing the SIS AGP driver from
    the ECS website, as opposed to leaving the standard XP driver active. I see
    from the ECS website that the SIS AGP driver is meant for all Win OS
    versions, including XP, but I've not installed it on my machine and the
    standard XP driver seems to be fine (with a Geforce 2 MX 32MB).

    The reason I'm thinking about this again is that I'm about to do an upgrade
    on my son's K7S5A-based machine, to allow him to play Doom 3. I'll be
    replacing his Geforce 2 MX with a Geforce FX 5500, adding another 256MB DDR
    RAM, and installing Win XP SP2.

    So, what's the concensus folks: in a more game-intensive context, should I
    install the SIS AGP driver, or leave the standard Win XP one running.

    Thanks.

    Ellwood, Dec 22, 2004

  2. Ellwood

    kirbalo Guest

    My Experience with Motherboards in general, is to use the Mobo Drivers,
    instead of the Microsoft drivers. It also helps if the drivers are WHQL
    certified, but don't always have to be. This goes especially for drivers
    for chipsets. I always use the Mobo drivers for nVidia for their nForce
    chipsets, and for SiS as well. The drivers from the chipset mfg.s don't
    necessarily take into account everything else on the board.

    I also noticed, after reading your post, that there are drivers on the
    Taiwan website www.ecs.tw.com site that are more current than the
    www.ecsusa.com site. I'm downloading as I type...
    --
    Kirbalo...

    K7S5A Pro, Athlon XP 1600+
    1 Gig DDR, 120 GB, nVidia GeForce 4 MX 440
    SuSE Linux 9.2 Pro & XP Pro Dual Boot
    Linux 2.6.8-24.5-default
    6:55pm up 1 day 23:55, 3 users, load average: 1.00, 1.23, 1.22

    kirbalo, Dec 24, 2004

  3. Ellwood

    Tod Guest

    Loaded question.
    As your current setup is running fine with the default driver, why take a
    chance.
    I'm using WinXP home with latest updates, a ATI 9600 PRO AIW on my K7S5A
    PRO, with latest Honey X bios.
    I've updated to latest SIS AGP driver, workes just fine.
    This website is a good place for help with K7S5A boards.
    http://p199.ezboard.com/bk7s5amotherboardforum

    Tod, Dec 24, 2004
  4. Ellwood

    Ellwood Guest

    Thanks for the info.

    Phil

    Ellwood, Dec 24, 2004
  5. Ellwood

    Ellwood Guest

    Thanks for your response. The current set up on my machine is fine, so I
    won't take a chance with that, as you suggest. However my dilemma is around
    another machine (my son's) - because after its upgrade he will be running a
    higher-spec graphics card and giving it a hammering with Doom 3. I wonder
    of having the 'right' AGP driver might be more important in that context.

    Phil

    Ellwood, Dec 24, 2004
  6. Ellwood

    kirbalo Guest

    Set a restore point, then try the new AGP driver. If there is any problems,
    you can go back to your current version...

    --
    Kirbalo...

    K7S5A Pro, Athlon XP 1600+
    1 Gig DDR, 120 GB, nVidia GeForce 4 MX 440
    SuSE Linux 9.2 Pro & XP Pro Dual Boot
    Linux 2.6.8-24.10-default
    8:31am up 13:16, 3 users, load average: 2.08, 1.79, 1.64

    kirbalo, Dec 24, 2004
  7. Ellwood

    Ellwood Guest

    Thanks for the replies, Kerbalo and Tod. Upgrade done (Geforce FX5500 +
    extra 256MB RAM); Win XP SP2 installed; SIS AGP driver installed; system
    running sweet; Doom 3 running very nicely at 640x480 and medium detail, on
    15 in. monitor. Son happy for Christmas. <Phew!>

    Ellwood, Dec 25, 2004