K7s5a Sound distorted

Discussion in 'ECS' started by Ulrich Althaus, Nov 25, 2003.

  1. Hi

    I have an K7S5A (orginal Bios 1.0).
    My first problem is that I have a distorted sound in some games (e.g.
    Need For Speed Underground, Freelancer).
    The strange thing is that this problem occurs with the onboard sound
    aswell as with an SB Live 1024 as with my new Terratec Aureon 5.1 Fun.
    Naturally I have the onboard sound disabled, when i use one of the
    soundcards.

    I tried a complete new installation of XP but the problems are still there.
    Playing mp3 or most other games is no problem at all.
    So I think it´s some special "sound feature" that doesn´t work.
    If somebody has the solution please let me know.

    My second problem might be solved more easily. I´m looking for a BIOS
    update but am not sure which one I need. The ecs-site says I can find
    out which mainboard I have by reading what's written next to K7S5A.
    But there is nothing. My manual and DX9.0b say I´ve got BIOS 1.0.

    Please help me it's driving me mad.

    Ulrich Althaus

    Ulrich Althaus, Nov 25, 2003

  2. Really? Quite old.
    Try another power supply or another PCI slot for the cards.
    Seems to be hardware related. Do you have disturbances continiously or only
    during sound output? Try to unplug all devices as cdroms and hdd, remove all
    cards beside vga and sound. Is the sound still messed?
    You will see the bios version during boot up message in the upper left part
    of screen.

    A current BIOS for your board you can get here:
    http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/k7s5a.html

    If you have luck, this is solving your problem with the sound.

    Bye
    Andreas

    Andreas Scheer, Nov 25, 2003

  3. Ulrich Althaus

    Mr. Slow Guest

    Do you have a PCI graphics card?

    Mr. Slow, Nov 25, 2003
  4. Did that without any effect.
    I´ve onlay got a radeon 9500 Pro (agp) and one of the soundcards in.
    But even with the onboard sound I´v got these problems
    The sound is only distorted in a few games mostly in menus and intros.
    In battlefield 1942 the distortion ggrows bigger and bigger as long as i
    play the game. Which is very short because of the terrible moises.
    Found the needed update. Maybe that´ll help. Just sad that I have to
    wait till work's done!

    Ulrich Althaus

    Ulrich Althaus, Nov 25, 2003
  5. No it agp. Read about the pci graphics card problems but that`s not it.

    Ulrich Althaus, Nov 25, 2003
  6. Ulrich Althaus

    Shep© Guest

    All info here,
    http://pub140.ezboard.com/bk7s5amotherboardforum
    I keep CDR/W ISO files for making a bootable CDrom disk of several of
    the honeyX BIOS if you need them.
    HTH :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    email shepATpartyheld.de

    Shep©, Nov 25, 2003
  7. I solved the Problem!
    All that was needed was an update of the bios.

    Thanx for all your quick answers.

    Ulrich Althaus

    Ulrich Althaus, Nov 26, 2003
  8. Ulrich Althaus

    Remco Guest

    Ey Ulrich..
    I think I have the same problem as you do... I have a soundblaster
    card and a terratec card. Both the cards don't work under XP on a
    machine, from which the motherboard is a Gigabyte(so that's the only
    diffrence). Thereby I do not have any sound at all. :S
    I prefer working with XP, but since I had that problem, I tried Win2k
    and that works finely... Hope I helped you a bit.

    Greetingz,

    Remco

    Remco, Dec 1, 2003