K7S5A up grade Sort of sucessful

Discussion in 'ECS' started by JimboSlim, Dec 3, 2003.

  1. JimboSlim

    JimboSlim Guest

    K7S5A K7S5Aer 1.1

    I've upgraded from 1.333 old Athlon to 2400+ athlonXP
    put on the honey bios and running at 138/138

    gives speed of 2060 Ghz on ms sys info but 2100 reported else where
    The system recognises cpu as a Athlon XP 2400+ ok

    I've done the chip set heat sink super glue and heat paste trick
    runs stable and ok quite fast but boot up still take a long time

    Generally it doesn't seem that much faster than the old 1.333 which I was
    O/clocking to 1.450 Ghz approx

    I've not really looked at stats that much but Sandra reports improvement all
    round but I cant really say I feel much difference
    Any way I have only spent £66 on a processor and Fan so it was a cheap
    upgrade. Oh and its not quite so noisy as it was before

    The rest of the system stayed the same

    I'd welcome any comments

    Jimbo

    JimboSlim, Dec 3, 2003

  2. JimboSlim

    Mr. Slow Guest

    --
    Remove ".invalid" and replace with ".co.uk" to reply
    Your results are broadly consistent with mine. My XP2400 runs stable at

    I have steadily upgraded my CPU from 1600 to 1800 then to 2100 and now 2400
    and I have not noticed a huge performance lift with each upgrade, but Sandra
    always reports an improvement.

    Mr. Slow, Dec 3, 2003
  4. JimboSlim

    Mike G Guest

    I think you've been a little bit optimistic about your upgrade. You
    haven't changed much in your system, all you've done is put in a
    slightly faster CPU.

    IME bootup time rarely has anything to do with processor speed. I have
    two PCs - a XP2000+ w/512MB RAM, and Pentium 233MHz (!) w/256MB - and
    they both take about the same time to boot up into WinXP.

    If bootup is really slow, your system might benefit from a little bit
    of tweaking - perhaps disabling a few programs which load themselves
    at boot time, that sort of thing.
    What kind of applications are you running? Unless you're doing lots of
    very CPU-intensive tasks (like video encoding, for example), I
    wouldn't expect the 2400+ to be noticeably faster. 1.45GHz to
    2GHz(ish) is not that big a leap.

    Mike G, Dec 3, 2003
  5. JimboSlim

    Bunch Of Fun Guest

    Have you maxed out the RAM on the motherboard? YOu may notice a bigger
    speed increase if you use a lot of different programs in Windows.

    What about your hard disk? Is it 7200rpm? I noticed a big difference
    when I went from 5400rpm to 7200.

    Bunch Of Fun, Dec 3, 2003