    anyother issues with this board? All I want is a simple working computer,
    not for any overclocking or anyother heavy duty stuff.
    thank you

    George, Feb 8, 2004

  2. George

    JT Guest

    Have built many systems using this motherboard. There have occasionally
    been problems with SDRAM. Most of the time, it was cheap noname ram. There
    also seems to be a problem with 2 sticks of SDRAM. No problems at all with
    DDR, which is the prefered ram to get anyway as it is cheaper and faster.

    There have been problems with some netgear nics on this, and a couple other
    motherboards out there. No problems that I know of with any other NIC. Even
    the onboard one seems to work fine on the boards that come with it.

    Overall it is a good, basic board with all the problem areas well known.
    Very good for an inexpensive system.

    JT

    JT, Feb 8, 2004

  3. George

    Phil Guest

    Hi,
    Hi,

    I am currently using this board + Athlon XP 2400+ CPU + 2 different
    generic sticks of SDRAM PC133 (256 Mb each) without any problem
    (nearly a year now). You don't worry about the NIC card since this
    board has a built-on network connector (10/100 Ethernet).

    It is not a "high-end" MB so don't expect stellar performance and
    snifty features but it is fine if you are not into overclocking. The
    most important thing using this board is that you would need a good
    power supply (the more wattage is the better). The most common
    problem with this MB is 1)weak power supply & 2)Memory problem.

    Good luck

    Phil, Feb 8, 2004
  4. George

    Tod Guest

    And the bios losing settings when the computer is turned off.

    Tod, Feb 8, 2004
  5. George

    David Sontag Guest

    Same here... no problem with the ram... to odd 256Mb was good to go. They even have different chip count on the pcb. I
    did not think they had a chance... but they did!

    David Sontag, Feb 8, 2004
  6. George

    Cuzman Guest

    " You don't worry about the NIC card since this board has a built-on network
    connector (10/100 Ethernet). "

    You could get them with or without.integrated ethernet. I put a Netgear
    FA311 in mine, as I didn't have on-board ethernet. That led to big boot
    problems for a couple of weeks until I *Googled* incompatibility issues for
    all my hardware. I found an old 3Com 3C905B-TX that works fine.

    Cuzman, Feb 9, 2004
  7. George

    Phil Guest

    Hi,

    I believe that problem was common with then "non" Pro board and I
    think ECS finally fixed this problem with the Pro board. I have it
    nearly a year now without any lost of bios settings yet (except for
    when you flash new bios version, but which board doesn't).

    Phil, Feb 9, 2004
  8. George

    Tod Guest

    I bought two K7S5A PROs
    One only lost the bios setting once.
    The other board needs to be left on or loses bios settings, even after
    replacing battery

    Tod, Feb 9, 2004
  9. George

    CJT Guest

    I think that needs a YMMV -- I've got one of each (PRO and non-PRO)
    here, and have never lost the BIOS settings. In fact, they're pretty
    solid boards. The one thing they lack (IMHO) is SoundBlaster emulation
    for legacy applications.

    CJT, Feb 9, 2004
  10. George

    PJx Guest

    My pro ver 5.0 with XP2200 has never lost bios settings and has never
    blue screened and it used cheap sdram without a problem.

    PJ

    PJx, Feb 9, 2004
  11. In most cases the SDram should work, but be prepared to have to pay for
    DDR

    George () wrote:
    : Hi,
    : I'm thinking of getting the ECS K7s5aPRO motherboard and want to use a AMD
    : XP 2400+ CPU from Newegg.com.
    : I've read that using SDRAM in this board leads to problems, AND using a
    : NETGEAR NIC card is problems too. Can I have some opinions on this and

    Brian Campbell, Feb 9, 2004
  12. If you don't use SDRAM you can't use this mobo. :(

    I read that DDR SDRAM was OK but that PC133 SDRAM (SDR) was known to
    give problems with the older K7S5As but not the K7S5A Pro. However
    MemTest86 never reported a single error with both types of mobos with
    any of the pairs of PC133 modules that I tried, regardless of what
    memory timing settings I used. OTOH both mobos showed errors with
    several PC2100 (DDR) modules, even when only one module was used at a
    time. Those modules were RK-Byte and Kingston ValueRAM and had either
    Spectec (used Micron) or no-name chips on them. But older Kingston
    PC2100 with no-name chips worked fine, as did RK-byte with Elixir
    (used Nanya) chips.

    http://pub65.ezboard.com/bk7s5amotherboardforum has lots of
    information about the problems with the K7S5A and K7S5A Pro.

    larrymoencurly, Feb 9, 2004
  13. George

    sdlomi2 Guest

    This may be just a one-of-a-kind incident. I just built a system using
    the K7S5A and 1 stick of Kingston Valueram, PC133. It would lose cmos
    settings every time I rebooted. Same after changing batteries. Then I
    pulled the battery-contactor spring outwards to fit tighter, and it solved
    the prob. Never had it happen with the several non-pro mobos I used.. s.

    sdlomi2, Feb 10, 2004
  14. George

    biggs Guest

    I have 2 and they both lose cmos. Bought 3 months apart. Run fine otherwise.
    Tried batteries. Re-solder battery connect. Running Honeyx for 24irq
    support.

    biggs, Feb 10, 2004
  15. Thanks for that info. I've seen lots of complaints about bad solder
    joints in monitors and and TVs but never in mobos before. But I did
    have difficulty soldering a battery holder to replace a broken one on
    an old mobo. The solder wouldn't stick until I took out the holder
    and applied plumbing flux to it to tin it (cleaned off the flux before
    putting it in the mobo).

    larrymoencurly, Feb 11, 2004