K7SEM doesn't power down with power switch

Discussion in 'ECS' started by Roger Blake, Jul 2, 2003.

  1. Roger Blake

    Roger Blake Guest

    I'm setting up a computer with the Elitegroup K7SEM motherboard
    to replace an aging XT-compatible 8088 system in an industrial application.

    The system powers up fine and PC-DOS installed and boots OK (it's a
    DOS-based application). However, once turned on, hitting the power
    switch puts the system into standby mode rather than turning the
    power off, even with power management shut off in the BIOS. (This seems
    to be the case no matter what power management setting is selected.)

    Of course the system will power down if one holds the on/off switch
    in for 5 seconds, but that's a little inconvenient. (And since this
    is DOS there is no turning the system off via OS shutdown.) I've looked
    through all the BIOS settings and the user manual but so far have not
    seen anything relevant.

    Anyone know how to set this board up so the power switch actually
    turns off the power rather than going into standby (assuming it's
    possible)?

    Roger Blake, Jul 2, 2003

  2. Roger Blake

    Ernie Guest

    I can't get mine to power off instantly at the switch either but here's
    a software solution.

    Go to:
    http://www.informatik.fh-muenchen.de/~ifw98223/dostools.htm

    and download

    ATXOFF.COM 1.3

    It doesn't download automatically when you click it so you'll have to
    right click it and select "save link as..."

    Gives me a very fast software shutdown.
    No four second wait!

    Ernie, Jul 2, 2003

  3. Roger Blake

    Tom Guest

    I don't have this board, but looking at the manual, in BIOS you should look
    under Power Mangement, and st Power Button Override to Instant-Off.

    Tom, Jul 2, 2003
  4. Roger Blake

    Ernie Guest

    Tried that on mine.....doesn't work!