    I've exhausted my own ideas and I'm looking for suggestions.

    Thanks,

    Mark

    Mark, Dec 17, 2003

  2. Mark

    Themroc Guest

    Probably you got a Thorton,not supposed to work with this mobo.It has the die
    shape of a Barton,but with half the l2 cache deactivated.

    Did you just up the fsb to 133 via BIOS instaed of setting the fsb jumper?

    Finally,you could try the AMD K7 driver update from MS (winXP),which correctly
    identifies all AMD cores introduced past the XP launch.(but i doubt this will
    help)

    Themroc, Dec 17, 2003

  3. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Hi Themroc,

    Thanks for taking the time to send your suggestions! I don't think it's
    the processor, I took this data straight from my Newegg order:

    The BIOS is recognizing the CPU and clock speed so I'm pretty sure my
    BIOS update did the trick. It's running the latest v3.6 drivers.

    Thinking back I don't remember moving the jumper under the memory slots.
    I changed out the heatsink, HD and some noisy fans at the same time so
    it's possible that I skipped it. It's simple to check that so it'll be
    first on my list when I get into work.

    I forgot to metion that I changed out the HD at the same time. (noisy WD
    for a quiet Seagate) It's possible that something could be corrupted
    with the data move. I use CasperXP to move data between drives and it's
    been 100% in the past. If it's not the jumper, reinstalling Win2k might
    be another option. (reinstalling stinks though)

    Thanks again for the suggestions. I'll report back if anything cures the
    problem.

    Mark

    Mark, Dec 17, 2003
  4. Mark

    ToeTagger Guest

    Remove JP17 (prob a yellow jumper) on your motherboard.

    ToeTagger, Dec 17, 2003
  5. Mark

    Mark Guest

    With hope in my heart, I broke the computer case open and checked the
    J17 jumper. But that was already open for 133fsb. So mark that one off
    the list.

    I reconfirmed the CPU as a XP 2400+ Thoroughbred in order to take that
    one off the list as well.

    Finally, I checked my BIOS again and confirmed that it was the latest,
    greatest and most up to date that could be found. It's v3.6 and made for
    this exact motherboard. Check that off too.

    So I'm open for the next batch of ideas. Otherwise it might be time to
    pull out the BFH.

    Thanks again,

    Mark

    Mark, Dec 18, 2003
  6. Mark

    fido Guest

    i also update from 1000 athlon to 2400+

    - using XP pro (fat32 clean install)
    -MSI 6330 ver 3
    - lowerd vcore in bios 1.45
    - used bios 2.6 (doess not show athlon 2400+ but 2000mhz instead )

    and all works fine till now approx 4 weeks

    fido

    fido, Dec 18, 2003