    the cpu down to lower settings. MSI cpu support states that this
    motherboard supports the Athlon 26ooxp at 266mz fsb. Has anyone been
    able to work around this?

    Don, Nov 10, 2003

  2. Don

    Me Guest

    This is typically what happens when you put a 333 FSB Athlon XP2600+ in
    a 266 FSB board. The board will detect the chip as an XP2000 and nothing
    you can do will make it detect as a 2600. Check your chip. The part
    number should end with a "C". The XP2600+ chips designed for 266 FSB all
    end with a "C". If it ends with a "D" it's a 333 FSB chip. I recently
    went through this same problem. I ordered a 266 FSB 2600 and they sent
    me a 333 FSB chip (ended with a D). Of course, the paperwork all said it
    was a 266 chip, but it wasn't. When I called them on the part number,
    they took it back and shipped me the correct one. It detected properly
    and booted right up as a 2600. I suspect that some less than honest
    companies intentionally ship out 333 chips when a XP2600+ 266 is ordered
    because the 333 is cheaper. The chips all say XP2600+ on them so few
    people will think to check the part number before they install it. The
    only way to tell the difference is to look up the part number, pull the
    heat sink, and physically check the part number on the chip. They know
    most people won't go to the hassle once it's installed.

    Me, Nov 10, 2003

  3. Don

    Me Guest

    BTW... this was on the same board you have.

    Me, Nov 10, 2003
  4. Don

    Don Guest

    Don: Thanks for the headsup, I checked the serial number on the CPU
    and it ended with a D. I called the supplier and told him he sent me
    the wrong CPU. He said he will replace. I hope he gets it right the
    second time. Thanks.

    Don, Nov 12, 2003
  5. Don

    Don Guest

    Don: I received the new cpu and verified that the serial number ended with a 'c'
    When I installed it, the motherboard only shows a 2200 mhz cpu and not the
    2600 that is installed. Do I need to install the latest bios to get the
    motherboard to boot at the right cpu speed.

    Don, Nov 23, 2003
  6. Don

    Steve D Guest

    2600 isnt the speed like it is in an intel chip. AMD chips are always
    clocked lower...the 2600 represents the equivalent intel processor. AMD had
    to do this so the average person wouldt make the mistake you are making
    now..
    Steve

    Steve D, Nov 23, 2003