    this information on MSI's site or googling this group.

    Thanks,
    MLD

    Marshall Dunbar, Dec 30, 2003

  2. Marshall Dunbar

    dgk Guest

    Good question. I've got two 120s in Raid-0 which is sort of the same
    thing - XP Pro. But not quite the same as one 160. I don't know if the
    limit of 137? is a bios thing or an OS thing. I'm on bios 3.7.

    dgk, Dec 30, 2003

  3. Marshall Dunbar

    Paul Gelinas Guest

    On the K7T266 Pro2, the hard drive limitations are chipset
    limitations if you have BIOS 3.6 or 3.7 installed.

    The onboard VIA IDE controller (IDE1 & IDE2) maxes out at 137 Gb.
    The onboard Promise controller (IDE3 & IDE4) should support any
    current ATA drive (I've currently got two WDC 200Gb drives -- mirrored
    -- and was using a WDC 250Gb before that).

    PaulG

    Paul Gelinas, Dec 30, 2003
  4. Marshall Dunbar

    Paul Gelinas Guest

    I forgot to mention...

    When the drive capacity support is listed, it only refers to whether
    or not you can USE all of the drive's capacity.

    If you put a 160Gb drive on IDE1, the BIOS will recognize the drive,
    but only allow access to the first 137Gb.

    If you use the drive in this condition, and then want to move it to a
    controller that DOES recognize it as a full 160Gb, a full backup and
    restore will need to be done first, as the new controller won't likely
    recognize the formatting of the drive (been theere, done that).

    PaulG

    Paul Gelinas, Dec 30, 2003
  5. I'll have to disagree with you on the VIA IDE controller maxing out at
    137GB.

    With BIOS version 3.7, I am currently running a Western Digital 250GB drive
    (WDC WD2500JB) on the VIA IDE controller and I am able to use the full 250
    GB's.

    Homer J. Simpson, Dec 30, 2003
  6. Interesting. I've never used a drive on the Promise controller. If I just
    have the single 160GB on IDE3 without RAID, will it work? I assume I can
    boot from it?

    mld

    Marshall Dunbar, Dec 30, 2003
  7. That is good news. I wish there was official information on MSI's web site
    about drive support for this MB.

    Thanks for the info...

    mld

    Marshall Dunbar, Dec 30, 2003
  8. Marshall Dunbar

    Dave Guest

    Funny, I have a wd 1800jb on IDE 2 (via ide) on my board, and am using ALL
    of the drive, with bios versions greater than 3.5. I am currently using bios
    3.7b4.

    Dave, Jan 1, 2004
  9. Marshall Dunbar

    Gollum Guest

    I have a MS 6380 with a 5400 RPM 160 GB Maxtor running off of a
    Promise PCI ATA133 card. IT still wouldn't see any more than 137
    UNTIL I updated the BIOS. Now it sees all of the 160 GB.

    FWIW the 5400 ATA133 seems slower than a 7200 ATA100. Of course this
    was one of the first ATA133's on the market and it might run better
    with a MB that supports ATA133 directly.

    Gollum

    Gollum, Jan 2, 2004
  10. Marshall Dunbar

    Carol Haynes Guest

    Yes but you will have to enable RAID support in the BIOS and tell the system
    it is a single disk performance array.

    Physically it doesn't seem to make a difference on how data is stored. I
    have swapped single drives between IDE1 and IDE3 and they have been bootable
    on both controllers.

    You can only use IDE3 and IDE4 with two drives if you use a hacked full RAID
    BIOS AFAICT.

    Carol

    Carol Haynes, Jan 6, 2004