    upgrade? Do I need to modify the CPU?

    Any suggestions or opinions will be appreciated.

    Sam

    Sam, Jul 12, 2003

  2. Sam

    Joshua Guest

    Most Dragon Pluses will not support a Tbred processor (which the 2400+
    is) without a physical modification to the motherboard (see amdmb.com
    forums for how to do this). The current question out there is whether
    or not the latest bios (2ba8) will accomplish this as well. So far no
    one seems to have confirmed this.

    Joshua, Jul 12, 2003

  3. Sam

    Fitz Guest

    Have you looked at the price and availability of the 2400+/266 FSB? You
    might be cheaper to replace the motherboard and processor with a Barton core
    (2500+/333FSB). It may cost more, but not by much, and you get the 333 FSB,
    512k L2, dual channel DDR and improved onboard sound (if you use it).

    Fitz

    Fitz, Jul 14, 2003
  4. Sam

    John Blair Guest

    Sorry Fitz but the dragon plus will only take an XP2100 or lower, and no
    Thoroughbred isn't even supported on the dragon plus either... I'm thinking
    about selling mine while I can still get a decent return and getting a newer
    board, sounds like a good idea to me, good luck to you...

    John

    John Blair, Aug 15, 2003
  5. Sam

    acajka Guest

    TO CLEAR THIS ISSUE UP ONCE AND FOR ALL...........................

    NO BIOS VERSION, INCLUDING 2BA8, ALLOWS A TBRED CPU CHIP TO WORK IN A
    K7V DRAGON PLUS BOARD PERIOD. TO USE A TBRED OR BARTON CPU CHIP IN A
    DRAGON PLUS BOARD REQUIRES MODS TO BE PERFORMED ON THE D+ BOARD. SEE THE ABOVE
    POST TO GET INFO ON THESE MODS.

    Andy

    acajka, Aug 15, 2003
  6. Sam

    SleeperMan Guest

    I can't find any post of that mods... BUT i know there has to be
    modification ( two caps) for T bred to work. But, is there possible for
    Barton to work on D+? And i guess limit is still 2100+, regardless of CPU
    model?
    Second thing - maybe do you know if Tbred's or Barton's have locked
    multiplicators? I mean right now i have 1700 and fsb set to 142M (increasing
    bit by bit to see when it stops), so i guess if i buy highest possible CPU
    and set fsb higher, i get decent CPU for decent price...
    I would like some info on that - either from you or at least some links
    Thanks!

    SleeperMan, Aug 16, 2003
  7. Sam

    acajka Guest

    For info on what mods are needed on the D+ boards go to:
    http://www.amdforums.com/showthread.php?s=99dfb629bcba630b5d99232daee1aa32&threadid=193409
    and read thru the posts. Yes, the Barton chips work on the D+ boards
    after the mods are done. However, only the 3000+ makes any sense
    because
    the other 2 Barton chips don't allow for the higher multiplier values
    to be used unless you do the wire/pin trick on the cpu itself.
    If your interested in more info on running a Barton chip, email me and
    I will send you info.

    Andy

    acajka, Aug 16, 2003