    create the new? Jumper settings?

    Thanks much,
    Brian

    anony, Jul 10, 2003

  2. anony

    Doug G. Guest

    Yes, that shouldn't be a problem. But I would be sure to backup the
    system first. You never know when something may go wrong when doing
    something like that.

    Doug

    Doug G., Jul 11, 2003

  3. anony

    Greg B Guest

    But with four nice drives you have some other choices that
    might give you equal speed PLUS safer data.

    Consider the possibility of NOT creating a 2nd array, but rather
    leaving the BOOT drive simple. Makes it easier to recover or
    migrate to a new hard motherboard/controller combo if necessary.
    If it's a simple, single, drive that can be done without any
    special drivers or rigamarole. The OS itself really doesn't
    benefit that much from RAID 0, because stuff tends to get
    into memory and stay there. You could gain by putting
    your paging files on the RAID 0 array, so if code segments
    did get sent out, they'd come and go quickly.

    Use that second drive to make Ghost images of the first one
    every time you make a major change, and you'll have a real
    nice disaster recovery scheme. Also use it for doing
    incremental backups of the RAID 0 array, which is rather
    vulnerable to failure of either of its two hard drives.

    Then use the RAID array for anything you want to have RAIDed
    for speed. For example, install games over there. And multi-media
    files. You know what I mean. Just bear in mind it's twice as
    likely to get lost from a hard drive failure. If it's your
    financial records, put it over on that single drive.

    You also could go RAID 0+1 (if your controller supports it),
    but you'd lose a lot of useful space.

    In sum, you can now on a single system trade off speed for
    reliability, AND have some room to do fast, live, backups
    to keep everything as safe as possible.

    Greg

    Greg B, Jul 11, 2003
  4. On 11 Jul 2003 07:11:54 -0700, (Greg B) wrote:

    (good suggestions snipped)
    I've a friend who had a nice 4-drive RAID 0+1 setup. Until the
    controller died and took one drive from each set with it. oops.
    (not a SOYO board, btw--I'm not even certain the RAID controller was
    built-in)

    Denny Wheeler, Jul 11, 2003
  5. anony

    SleeperMan Guest

    Dragon+ doesn't support RAID 0+1. Only 0 or only 1.

    SleeperMan, Jul 13, 2003