K7VEMPRO--upgraded to Athlon 1900. now windows 98se won't start

Discussion in 'Soyo' started by rons, Oct 23, 2006.

  1. rons

    rons Guest

    Hi:
    I build a cheap 2nd hand computer for internet use only a couple
    months ago.
    The motherboard, from ebay, is the K7VEMPRO (not the pro 1.0)
    It had a duran 850 cpu, and the FSB was set at 200.
    I just got an Athlon 1800+ 1.5GH Palamino core. The soyo website
    says it should work if I run at 266FBS.
    I have the 6.00pc Bios.

    I set the jumper for the fsb to 266 (from 200). (Now its pins 1
    and 2 instead of 2 and 3.)

    At the beginning of the bootup, the screen shows the cpu to be
    the correct Athlon 1800+.

    But as windows 98se starts to open, I get a warning saying that :

    "While initializing configmg,
    Windows protection error. You need to restart your computer."

    When I do, it goes into safe mode, and then crashes with the blue
    screen of death.

    If I turn everything off and start again, windows gets to the
    point where it scans the registry (because it wasn't shut off
    properly) but as soon as that's done, the warning window about the
    windows protection error comes back.

    No matter what I do, I can't get win98se to start.

    If I put the FSB jumper back to pins 2-3 (200fsb), the computer
    starts up again.

    Does anyone have some ideas on whats happening/going wrong?

    Do I need to make some changes besides changing the FSB jumper?

    Thanks very much for any help you can give.

    ron

    rons, Oct 23, 2006

  2. rons

    f/fgeorge Guest

    The problem is there are different cpu drivers loaded than the ones
    you currently have. Yes normally all that is taken care of by Windows
    but now that you have changed, substantially, you have found it.
    There are 2 easy ways to deal with this, the 1st is just to get
    another hard drive and load a new OS on there and start over and keep
    your existing harddrive as a slave drive. Yes you will have to reload
    all of your programs. Yes all of the spyware/viruses/spam that is
    currently on your computer will be gone.
    The 2nd way is to put the OS cd in the drive and at the SECOND 'R' do
    a replace of the OS. This works SOMETIMES.
    You seem to have stumbled headlong into one of the many reasons why IT
    people make so much money.

    f/fgeorge, Oct 23, 2006

  3. I was going to say check out your RAM and power supply.
    Make sure your cooling is working with that processor too!

    good luck!

    dave AKA vwdoc1, Oct 24, 2006