    happens before the OS even starts to load. Could my PCI bus be failing?
    What else can I check?

    Chris

    chris1379, Dec 13, 2006

  2. power supply maybe?
    I have an emachine that has issues with it's power supply. Crashes and
    strange behavior after I run it about 10-15 minutes. Another power supply
    solved the problem, but the "normal" power supply is too big for it's case.
    I don't use this computer. lol

    dave AKA vwdoc1, Dec 13, 2006

  3. chris1379

    chris1379 Guest

    I did think about the PS but the voltages check OK with a multimeter. I
    suppose it could be the capacitors on the board going bad too but they
    aren't swelling so far. I do know that the KT133A chipset had a number
    of issues, including PCI problems but the only ones I've heard of with
    IDE problems were bad out of the box. BTW, the CD/DVD drives open and
    close fine with the IDE cables unplugged.

    Chris

    chris1379, Dec 13, 2006
  4. So the only things that remain constant are the motherboard, case and power
    supply?
    I will ASSuME you have checked the BIOS settings and tried different
    settings.
    AFAIK once the capacitors go bad..............they are bad and are either
    not functioning at boot-up or quickly after they get heated up.

    Got a table to work on?
    Maybe pulling the motherboard out of the case, insulating it and using a
    different power supply to test things out. If that checks out OK then start
    adding your components back to it, hard drives, optical drives etc. adding
    one at a time.........but keep it out of the case!
    Looks weird but it may help you isolate the problem. ;-)
    Also it makes sure that your components are properly seated too!

    good luck,
    dave

    dave AKA vwdoc1, Dec 14, 2006
  5. chris1379

    jim evans Guest

    I just had a SOYO K7VTA Pro fail Sunday. It didn't exhibit your
    symptoms -- it just wouldn't start, but there may be something time
    sensitive in them. Mine is about 4 years old and has been running
    essentially 24-7 for the last 3.

    -- jim

    jim evans, Dec 19, 2006
  6. chris1379

    chris1379 Guest

    I wanted to follow up on this. I'm still not sure exactly what the
    problem was but it seems to be OK for now. While doing some
    troubleshooting, my old SCSI hard drive decided to go up in smoke. As
    far as I can tell, it was due to no error of mine. It's possible the
    drive was part of the problem but the symptoms were still there when it
    was previously disconnected. I also rechecked the power supply and
    noticed the 3.3V going up as high as 3.8V when it was warm. I removed
    the SCSI card and put the WinTV card in its place and all seemed OK
    except for the WinTV failing to start sometimes. I believe this is a
    known issue with all mobos using the KT133a chipset. I also found 2
    loose screws that hold the board in the case somewhere along the way.
    Instead of replacing the power supply, I opted for a new case w/PS, and
    a new Geforce MX4000 video card. I still get the reboots sometimes on a
    restart but it's mostly stable, The WinTV even works if I disable
    overlay mode.

    Chris

    chris1379, Dec 26, 2006
  7. chris1379

    chris1379 Guest

    Well, looks like I spoke too soon. It all went south again. Wouldn't
    even boot into Windows. I finally traced it to the Linksys LNE100TX
    network card. I removed the drivers in safe mode and then removed the
    card. Not a single crash since. I reinstallled DirectX and that fixed
    the WinTV failing to start. This system has never ben this stable.

    Chris

    chris1379, Dec 30, 2006
  8. chris1379

    Rick Guest