K7X Pro (S2469) wont power on

Discussion in 'Tyan' started by JohnH, Aug 2, 2005.

  1. JohnH

    JohnH Guest

    Hi everyone,

    I had a S2469 fail (POST beep codes) and ordered a new MB. When the
    new MB arrived, I installed it and attempted to power up the server and
    nada! Eventually, I determined the new MB was defective and ordered a
    2nd MB. When that arrived I ran into the same problem - nothing happens
    when turning on the power!

    After checking everything I could think of, I stripped the original
    board of everything, plugged in the power and turned on the machine.
    Fans and hard drives start up. If I do the same thing with either og
    the new MBs, no power reaches the fans or hard drives.

    Other than the fact that the original board is Rev C and the new
    boards are Rev F, I can't find any differences (jumpers etc). It
    appears as if the PSU is being clamped down (is that the right term?)
    or the power circuit is open somewhere on the new boards. Any help,
    ideas, hints or moral support would be greatly appreciated.

    John Hayden

    JohnH, Aug 2, 2005

  2. You haven't tested the new board with a new (beefier) power supply.
    Try one that can put out at least 18-24Amps on the +12v line.

    Don't even bother looking at the "watts" number. It is nonsense and
    tells you absolutely nothing of any value. You need to compared +12v
    output only. The older single 12v supplies are better than the new
    12v supplies in that regard. You get to throw the full might of the
    12v rail into the task of powering on the motherboards CPU regulator.
    The split rail supplies seem to have problems with the tyans since
    each rail is fairly anemic.

    -wolfgang

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Aug 2, 2005