    comment? I have a Nforce2 and love it so l was planning on going over to an
    Nforce3

    Doug

    Doug, Jul 27, 2004

  2. Doug

    Geoff Guest

    nf3 150 = no good
    nf3 250 = good
    via k8t800 = good
    i know thats a bit too general, but thats the feeling i'm getting currently
    also note nf4 in a few months, nf3 does not have soundstorm, nf4 will have
    soundstorm 2
    (that right ya?)

    Geoff, Jul 27, 2004

  3. Doug

    rstlne Guest

    I hear
    k8t800pro = vgood (when compared)

    rstlne, Jul 27, 2004
  4. Having a nforce3 chipset (250) MB, all I can say is
    NF3 250 = Great

    Very, very happy with is, I went from a NF2 chipset board....

    Gary Colligan, Jul 27, 2004
  5. Doug

    rms Guest

    nf3 150 = no good
    Not all k8t800 have locked pci, which is essential. Anandtech just did
    a review of one board that does have the locked pci, so take a look.

    rms

    rms, Jul 27, 2004
  6. Doug

    Wes Newell Guest

    In a nutshell, NF3-150, not good. NF3-250, good.

    Wes Newell, Jul 27, 2004
  7. Doug

    Wes Newell Guest

    I'd only give the K8T800 an ok since it doesn't have a pci lock, the newer
    one from vis does though (Pro model maybe?)

    Wes Newell, Jul 27, 2004
  8. Doug

    yada Guest

    It's confusing if you're not on top if it.

    Via K8T800 (first edition) was pretty good and nforce3 150 was pretty
    bad.

    However,

    Nforce3 250gb is great, better than both first (K8T800) and second
    (K8T800Pro) editions of the VIA chipset.

    When in doubt get the Nvidia Nforce3 250gb chipset for AMD64.

    yada, Jul 28, 2004
  9. Doug

    Ben Pope Guest

    You may find this an interesting read:
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2069

    If you have an nForce2 and like, you should love the nForce3 250. Just
    avoid the 150.

    Also, you'll loose soundstorm, which is shame. Fixed on nForce4...

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Jul 28, 2004
  10. Doug

    Ed Guest

    I'm about to upgrade my Nf2/Barton to a Nf3-250/A64. Is there anything
    else on Nf4 besides soundstorm, and when will those boards be out?

    Cheers,
    Ed

    Ed, Jul 28, 2004
  11. Doug

    Ed Light Guest

    Ed Light, Jul 29, 2004
  12. Doug

    Ben Pope Guest

    Yeah, but rather than recall it all I'll send you to the source:
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=17058

    No idea when. But then, you can always be waiting for something...

    In my opinion, there are a lot of things happening right now, and I'm gonna
    sit it out, probably wait for nF4, PCI-E, 939 and maybe BTX to come in. My
    Barton is plenty fast for me right now, of course... I might change my mind
    later on, depending on how long it all takes.

    Having said that, if you're looking to go 64bit now, I don't think you could
    beat a 754 chip, on nForce3 250 for those with some kind of cap to their
    gaming budget. :p

    Cheapest 939/nForce3 250 setup comes in at around £250 + £135 for CPU+Board.
    Cheapest 754/nForce3 250 setup comes in at around £110 + £80

    If you already have PC3200 thats a big difference.

    Two prices cuts on 939 in a few days and at the end of Aug, apparently.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Jul 29, 2004
  13. Doug

    Ed Guest

    Was looking at...
    Chaintech VNF3-250 Retail - $88
    Athlon 64 3200+ Retail - $221
    free shipping, no tax.
    I have 4 sticks of Corsair 256MB PC3200LL 2-2-2-6.
    I assume the Nf3-250 has no problem running 3 dimms @ DDR400 speeds?
    The MSI/VIA K8 boards I used to build a couple for friends only support
    3 sticks at DDR 333 speeds.

    Cheers,
    Ed

    Ed, Jul 29, 2004
  14. Doug

    Ben Pope Guest

    I would check that... it can be a pain on A64s - usually best to have 2
    DIMMs at most.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Jul 29, 2004