K8M Neo-V won't boot from hard drive after BIOS flash

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Steve, Mar 13, 2005.

  1. Steve

    Steve Guest

    But it boots just fine from CD or floppy.

    I bought the combo (MB, AMD64 processor, 1G memory) to replace a
    motherboard which had died in a previously working system. At the
    same time I replaced the power supply and the video card. When I first
    fired it up, it brought up the boot manager from the previous incarnation
    of the system, which had been an Athlon-XP.

    I never actually let it reboot, since I wanted to redo the OS optimized
    for the AMD64 (and the new video card.) I flashed the motherboard to the
    most current version of the BIOS (AMI version 3.5), booted from CD and
    installed the OS. Once I got to the point of being able to boot from the
    new system, I removed the CD and proceeded to reboot.

    It displayed all the possible boot devices (note that the floppy and CD
    were empty):
    Searching for Boot Record from floppy..not found
    Searching for Boot Record from CD/DVD..not found
    Searching for Boot Record from IDE-0..not found

    No matter what I did, I couldn't get the system to boot from the hard
    drive. I reflashed the BIOS back to 3.2, still didn't work. Since then I
    have installed four different operating systems: Win2k, WinXP, Gentoo
    Linux and Debian Linux. All boot from CD, install perfectly until you get
    to the part where the system has to boot on its own, and then nothing.

    Has anyone seen this? Is it possible that there is a problem with how
    I've set the BIOS up? Or a hardware conflict with something else? Or
    just a bad MB?

    Thanks for any advice.
    Steve

    Steve, Mar 13, 2005