    gjctech Guest

    I just installed a MSI K8MM3-V mobo, CPU, Power, and RAM. However, I
    cannot get VGA support from the mobo, do I have to enable this somehow?

    gjctech, Aug 30, 2007

  2. gjctech

    Paul Guest

    If an AGP card is plugged into the motherboard, that might be enough
    to disable the onboard VGA connector. A lot of these integrated video
    boards are "either/or", and either the AGP video card gives the video
    or the onboard does the work, but not both at the same time.

    There is a "VGA Share Memory Size" setting in the BIOS. The factory
    default could be 64MB, which is borrowed from system RAM. There
    is an option there, to "disable" sharing. I suspect if the BIOS
    had set that to "disable", then there would be no reason to have
    video output from the onboard. You would either have to "clear CMOS"
    to get the default back, or install an AGP card, enter the BIOS, and check
    the setting using the AGP card.

    One reason for not getting video output, would be not having the
    ATX12V 2x2 power connector in place. The square 2x2 connector is
    next to the CPU socket.

    If you are getting the one POST beep from the board at startup, that
    generally tells you the processor is running (to make the beep).
    If the video has completely failed, there is usually a beep code
    that signifies that fact. Hearing the video beep code, tells you
    the processor is running, and there is some problem with video.

    If you are getting no beeps from the system at all (and the computer
    case speaker is connected to the PANEL header), then there is a
    more serious problem with the board. You cannot get video, without
    a running processor to program it.

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 30, 2007

  3. gjctech

    Harry Syme Guest

    get a cheap pci card then set bios to boot from agp

    Harry Syme, Sep 4, 2007
  4. gjctech

    Horst Franke Guest

    Hi acidburn975
    The _details_ about lots of beeping sound will tell us what's going
    wrong. This is specific to the used BIOS and motherboard.

    What happens if You unplug the sata hdd?
    Did You connect it internally or as external device?

    I noticed the same when I connected an external DVD on the USB
    bus but without providing power to that external DVD.

    My Symptom was BIOS did not perform the RAM check and hung.
    Removing the USB plug cleared that problem.

    Horst

    Horst Franke, Nov 18, 2009