K8N Neo Platinum and Corsair Value Select 512MB400 ram

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Splontoon, Oct 23, 2004.

  1. Splontoon

    Splontoon Guest

    Hi,

    Is there anyone here that uses the K8N Neo Platinum mobo with Value
    Select ram? I've had nothing but problems since I bought an upgrade
    kit from Komplett which contained the following:

    MSI K8N Neo Platinum motherbaord
    1 stick of VS512MB400 Corsair ram
    Athlon 64 3200 cpu

    After fitting it all I had nothing but problems, random lock ups, blue
    screens and then constant reboots after installing SP2 (Im running XP
    Home).

    Komplett suggested running memtest86, which I did. It failed on tests
    5 and 8. So I sent the ram back. In the meantime another stick of this
    ram turned up (long story). This too failed as the one before did.

    Instead of sending this back I investigated. Turned out if I put two
    sticks of ram in (one old generic PC2100 stick and the VS one) it ran
    fine.

    A few days later Komplett contacted me saying the memory tested fine
    and they had sent it back. I did note however that they had tested it
    on a P4 board, and not with the hardware that is part of the kit (not
    professional imo).

    So for the past couple of days I have had two sticks of VS512MB400 and
    yes, I have had problems (this was after I left memtest running a
    couple of passes with no errors). A couple of blue screens and some
    lock ups. Most notably ones that make reference to memory being
    accessed that was invalid (out of range and stuff like that).

    Today killed it after a blue screen while playing a game. Afterwards
    it blue screened when shutting down, installing software etc.

    So, I removed the VS512MB400 ram and put in 1 stick of old PC2100.
    It's running fine.

    So, it's one of two things, the ram or the mobo, or the mix of the two
    I suppose.

    Can someone shed some light on this???

    Splontoon, Oct 23, 2004

  2. Splontoon

    Hellraiser Guest

    Running two sticks of the CAS2.5 stuff on my K8N Neo Platinum with 1.5 beta
    5 bios - no problems at all.

    Hellraiser........>

    Hellraiser, Oct 23, 2004

  3. Splontoon

    Splontoon Guest

    Where can I get the 1.5 bios from? Can't seem to find it on the MSI site.

    Thanks.

    Splontoon, Oct 24, 2004
  4. Splontoon

    Hellraiser Guest

    Hellraiser, Oct 24, 2004
  5. Splontoon

    don.bass Guest

    What are your memory settings for the corsair ram? Double sided ram
    seems to have problems with this board when running agressive settings
    2-2-2-5 for example.

    I think the VS512MB400 is CAS 2.5, so that should be ok, but check
    your other settings

    If you running 200mhz on the memory, trying reducing it to 180. If
    that's stable, bump it up a little at a time. You might also try
    increasing the voltage to the RAM

    don.bass, Oct 25, 2004
  6. Splontoon

    joel Guest

    I have exactly the same problem, same Corsair memory modules same
    mobo, and from the same supplier. Memtest fails bigtime on test 7.
    The strange thing is that my memorymodules works fine on another MSI
    Neo platinum motherboard. No errors or reebots at all. Tried another
    corsair memory (faster version whith heatsinks) on my mobo and it
    works better but still some reeboots at some occations. But no Memtest
    errors.
    This is really annoying. The supplier tested the mobo and found no
    errors. Offcourse they did not use the same memory modules (256meg)
    when they tested my mobo... so... what to do? I want a new motherbord,
    mine sucks.

    joel, Oct 27, 2004
  7. Splontoon

    Splontoon Guest

    Hi,

    I've tried the timings given by Corsair peeps on their forum to no
    avail. I'm currently using a friends generic stick of PC3200 ram and
    it's rock solid...

    I'm going to see what they suggest next, I'll try and come back and
    let you know just in case it helps someone else.

    Thanks.

    Splontoon, Oct 27, 2004