    If there's no external indication, are a lot of < 1.3 BIOSes still in the
    channel? I bought this one from ZipZoomFly. I assume they move a lot of
    them so I'm hopping it's not very old stock.

    Mitch Crane, Dec 3, 2004

  2. Mitch Crane

    CoCo Guest

    hi

    check the "multilingual manual" page iii, the board revision is printed
    here. mine was a rev 1.1 july 2004 and was a bios 1.2 (no go 90nm).

    coco

    CoCo, Dec 3, 2004

  3. Mitch Crane

    Mitch Crane Guest

    Don't have a multilingual manual. Just English. The manual revision there
    is 1.0 July 2004. I saw a user review on newegg dated Dec. 2 and he got
    the 1.3 BIOS. Hopefully ZipZoomFly's stock is as new.

    Mitch Crane, Dec 3, 2004
  4. Mitch Crane

    Harvo Guest

    it should boot fine, winnie 3500 on 1.3 and fresh install of
    win xp pro on sata 200 maxtor using sata 3 install the drivers from floppy
    was my only problem setting up
    wot made me smile was on stock cooler running at 265 x9 htt 4 at 2.5 ghz;
    have to say it is a great combination mobo and cup ...... just my two bob...

    Harvo, Dec 3, 2004
  5. Mitch Crane

    Chip Guest

    I bought one 2 weeks ago and it had bios 1.2.

    My 90nm Winchester worked fine with bios 1.2

    Chip

    Chip, Dec 6, 2004
  6. Mitch Crane

    Mitch Crane Guest

    Thanks for the info. Hopefully I'll be lucky and won't have any problems.
    If my BIOS isn't Winchester ready then I'm sort of screwed, since I don't
    have access to a 130nm chip.

    Does anyone know if MSI will send a replacement BIOS (if needed) and, if
    so, how long will it take to get it?

    Mitch Crane, Dec 6, 2004
  7. Mitch Crane

    stas27 Guest

    I bought mine from Zipzoomfly approximately 3 weeks ago, it came with
    1.3 BIOS. Won't do a "warm reboot" though :( , otherwise works great.
    atnyylbhesevraqfsrryfbthvyglnobhggurveplavpvfznaqgurerfgbsgurvetrareng
    [/QUOTE]
    vbaabgriragurtbireazragnertbaanfgbclbhabjohgnerlbhernqlgborurnegoebxra

    stas27, Dec 6, 2004
  8. Mitch Crane

    stas27 Guest

    stas27, Dec 6, 2004
  9. Mitch Crane

    stas27 Guest

    I bought mine from ZipZoomFly ~3 weeks ago, it came with 1.3 BIOS.
    Won't do a "warm reboot" though...

    Regards,
    Stas.

    stas27, Dec 6, 2004
  10. Mitch Crane

    Mitch Crane Guest

    Got the board up and running. It came with BIOS 1.3. The manual says you
    have to install the HSF retainer and backplate, but they were already
    installed. The manual looked slightly used, too, so I wonder if it's
    "pre-owned". I don't really care as long as it works, just curious, but
    do you normally have to install that yourself?

    The board powered up fine and the WindowsXP install went well, but I got
    BSOD's when Windows was launching. After fiddling with configs and
    swapping between my two RAM sticks (to no avail) I reinstalled. Still got
    the BSOD, but I noticed the DVD drive spinning up just prior to the BSOD.
    Removing the disk allowed Windows to boot, but anytime I inserted a disk
    in that DVD drive (on the secondary IDE channel) the machine would start
    to stutter and freeze. I plugged in a USB2 DVD burner and got all the
    drivers installed that way. Right now I have that IDE DVD drive and a CD
    burner on an old Promise Ultra 66 card and they work fine there.

    The next morning I finished plugging in all the front panel switch/LED
    connections and such and I replaced the IDE cable I had been using with
    the round IDE cable that came with the board. When windows started up,
    all went well to a point then everything slowed to a stuttery crawl. I'd
    seen that before when an IDE device wasn't working right so I threw out
    the round cable and went back to a flat one and all is well so far.

    Mitch Crane, Dec 8, 2004
  11. Mitch Crane

    Roy Guest

    Unfortunately I think that they all come with the HSF retainer and backplate
    pre-installed. Mine did. Bought new from NewEgg. You can take a hair
    dryer to the back of the board and gently heat the plate and adhesive up and
    remove them if you want.

    Roy, Dec 9, 2004
  12. Mitch Crane

    stas27 Guest

    Mine came with preinstalled back plate - all ready to go. It was new -
    all the stuff in sealed plastic bags etc.

    Though your problems with drives make worry now... Prior to RMAing the
    board I installed all SCSI drives (2 disk and cd-r), all worked fine,
    no BSODs (fresh install of WinXP), very stable and fast.

    stas27, Dec 10, 2004
  13. Mitch Crane

    patwood Guest

    Mine came pre-installed, too. From ZipZoomFly.

    patwood, Dec 10, 2004
  14. Mitch Crane

    Chip Guest

    Sorry, who are you replying to? Because you have top-posted, I have no
    idea.

    Chip

    Chip, Dec 11, 2004
  15. Mitch Crane

    patwood Guest

    Sorry, I meant the HSF retainer and backplate. My K8T NEO2 FIR came
    with them installed from ZZF.

    Pat

    patwood, Dec 11, 2004
  16. Mitch Crane

    Mitch Crane Guest

    RMAing? If it worked fine then why did you do that?

    I've seen similar IDE problems with particular drives. Back when 16x CD
    burners first came out I bought a TDK (which I think was a Ricoh mech) and
    it caused all kinds of slowness and problems on a P3B-F (440BX chipset)
    board. It was avery solid board, but just couldn't get along with that
    drive. It worked great with every other drive I ever used on it and that
    same drive worked fine on other boards.

    The DVD-ROM drive I had the trouble with is an old Hitachi GD-5000. I tried
    my Lite-On burner on the onboard PATA and it works fine. The Hitachi shows
    up in the BIOS as DMA 2 and the Lite-On shows up as UDMA 2, btw. I think
    it's likely to be a problem mainly with older drives.

    Mitch Crane, Dec 12, 2004